X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seadog
    • Sep 2006

USS Greenling SS213

Would like to detail my Revell gato and finish it as SS213.
    Have found some referance material but would like to find some
    drawings and photos.
    Can anyone help

Thanks
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Would like to detail my

Would like to detail my Revell gato and finish it as SS213.
    Have found some referance material but would like to find some
    drawings and photos.
    It's not quite that simple. Look at the two photos below][/url]

The one on the left is USS Greenling in 1941, in "as built" condition. The one on the right is also USS Greenling, this time in 1945. The conning tower fairwater, periscope shears, gun and even the paint job have been modified. So, you need to tell us what era of the war you want to depict. Fleet boats changed constantly, and in the end, no two were alike.

Comment

• seadog
      • Sep 2006

Thanks for the reply and

Thanks for the reply and photos.
      Your right should have been more specific.
      Would like to do the late war version 1945.
      Found some ref. info. in US Subs in action but still need a lot
      more.

Thanks

Comment

The Floating Drydock has several

The Floating Drydock has several 1945 refit photos of Greenling. The Floating Drydock also has midwar (about 1943) plans of Greenling should you wish to build her from that timeframe.

Robert

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

US Subs in action

Unfortunately,

US Subs in action
          Unfortunately, some of the details in that book are wrong. Go with the FD material mentioned above, and the previous photo I posted above of Greenling in 1945.

Comment

To echo those above, the

To echo those above, the Floating Drydock has 2-3 photos of Greenling at Mare Island in 1945. I believe this was after she was retired from combat, as a few of the very early Gatos were at that time. She appears to still have the full wood deck forward, but the photos are of the wrong angle to show the deck aft of the deck gun.

Be aware that as per the Floating Drydock's Plan Book Greenling's fairwater was one frame longer than her sisters, as originally built. She and Gato had slightly longer structures there, with the fairwater losing one frame in length at the forward end from SS-214 onward. I'm not sure how this would play out on a latewar fairwater, if after her refits that extra frame length was removed? I don't know, but be aware of it in case something doesn't look right in that area.

Robert

EDIT: a photo of Greenling at Navsource tied up next to Flounder shows that she had a full length wooden deck through 1944-45. Some drawings, like those in the Squadron book, show plated decks aft but these are clearly in error.

Comment

• ricknelson
              • Dec 2006

Here is the list of

Here is the list of references I've used while building a model of the USS Grouper, SS214 in 1/178. I have found better detail shots of items of interest on the Grouper in other boat photos. Also, I found going to the USNI Photo link and purchasing an enlarged (11 x 17) version of a photo they had of the Grouper really helped bring out some more details.

BTW, I've found the frame-count change mentioned in a previous post in the FD docks also.

BIBLOGRAPHY:

Alden, John D., The Fleet Submarine in the U.S. Navy, 1979, United States Naval Institute, ISBN: 0-87021-187-0

Friedman, Norman, U.S. Submarines through 1945, 1995, United States Naval Institute, ISBN: 1-55750-263-3

Stern, Robert C., U.S. Subs in Action #2, 1983, Squadron/Signal Publications, ISBN: 0-89747-085-0

Stern, Robert C., Gato-Class Submarines in Action #28, 2006, Squadron/Signal Publications, ISBN: 0-89747-509-7

The Fleet Type Submarine, NAVPERS 16160, June 1946, www.Periscope.com, ISBN: 1-4116-7753-6

Fleet Submarines of World War Two, 1988, The Floating Drydock, ISBN: 0-933126-72-7

Plan Book, Gato & Balo Class Submarines, 1990, The Floating Drydock, ISBN: 0-944055-06-0

U.S.S. Cod, Photo Museum Guide, 1999, Oxford Museum Press, Inc., ISBN: 1-930127-01-4

Comment

Working...
              X