X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne frey
    • Aug 2003

USS SHARK 314

Doing a little research on these boats. This one is interesting. A lost boat, another submarine may have gotten credit for a sinking of a boat instead of her.
    Unfortunately, the Japanese boat was carrying American POWS.
    It is a Balao from the EB yard. I have found pictures of crew, the flag, and the launching. But I cannot find any good reference photographs. Since each boat seems unique, I would really appreciate any other pictures that can be found.
    I am thinking of detailing my Gato out to this boat. Built in 1944, it would be a late war hull.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Not photos, per se, but

Not photos, per se, but the Floating Drydock has plans of USS Perch (SS313) and USS Sealion (SS315), both built by EB at the same time as Shark and literally "framing" her hull number. All three were part of a special order from the Navy reusing the names of boats previously lost in combat. I think it safe to assume that the basic details were all similar if not identical, with the same fairwater shapes, radar locations, etc. If worst comes to worst and you can't find that one photo with all of the right details, you could use those plans of Perch and Sealion to "fill in" the missing pieces, at least until more accurate documentation comes along.

It isn't a perfect solution, but it might work temporarily. I'm in the same situation with Hawkbill - few references on her, but plenty on Icefish, built just one hull number later at Manitowac.

Robert

Comment

• wayne frey
      • Aug 2003

A safe bet, until more

A safe bet, until more comes along. I am not going to research it to death. But do want to stay as close as I can. I am buiding, (present tense), and not sitting back doing a virtual build, or internet only build.
      I was trying to find out if the prop guard locations were deleted on build, or plates put over the holes. I am finding both to be true.
      It seems as though almost no two boats were the same.
      As for the removal of the prop guards. I have decided to smooth it over completely. (see Frey's builds in the Sub Ron 5 section).
      Without fear, I am clobbering away and seeing how it turns out
      Not counting rivets here and holding anything up David . Just doing different parts while I wait on the release of the Merrimen WTC.
      So far, it is fun !!
      But, mine will be to remember the USS 314 Shark.
      All information would be appreciated.

Comment

• wayne frey
        • Aug 2003

In the beginnings of looking

In the beginnings of looking for a boat to model after, I came across a pdf file on the internet about the history of the SHARK. It does not come up in a normal search on the net, but if anyone runs across it or any pictures, please contact me.
        Wayne Frey
        vice president, Subcommittee

Comment

Check The Floating Drydock. They

Check The Floating Drydock. They just released a ton of USS Perch plans, many of which also list Shark's hull number. If nothing else, there are now a lot of as-built plans of Shark to help you out.

Robert

Comment

Working...
          X