• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • violetrock
    • Jan 2007

Revell GATO colour question

Hello all!

My name is Thomas, located in Germany. Usually I build modern armour, but I got this kit as a X-Mas present and I really like this one!
    I collected some info on the colours used on the Gato, but one question is not answered, yet. Revell states in the instructions, that all the interior details behind the flood holes, stairs, etc. should be painted anthracite grey (step 10-12, 24 and 27 in the instructions). My guess is, that these areas should be painted black, instead, but I´m not sure about this. So can you tell me, what is correct?

Thanks,

Thomas
  • rokket
    • Oct 2005

Hi Thomas1

Nice present - should

Hi Thomas1

Nice present - should be a good build.

If your boat was painted all black, measure 9, then yes, black would do it. As for the boats painted Measure 32, don't know! I would think dar, but... anyone?

Comment

• violetrock
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for your reply rokket,

Thanks for your reply rokket, but I build it in Measure 32....

Thomas

Comment

• rokket
        • Oct 2005

ahh, too bad! Don't know,

ahh, too bad! Don't know, hope others will respond!

Comment

• boss subfixer
          • Aug 2004

Thomas,
          Anthracite gray should give you

Thomas,
          Anthracite gray should give you a good scale effect for black. Here is what I found at the ship camouflage website for submarines. I wouldn't get too hung up on formula numbers as they may be impossible to get exact duplicates of. Also don't get too concerned over the primer steps, a good quality spray primer will be fine.

Submarines.

Submarines shall have the exterior metal surfaces above the waterline at maximum beam painted with one coat of MI-146 over one coat of the dark zinc chromate primer, formula 84D, and one coat of dark anticorrosive paint, formula 14D. Wood slat decking shall be painted with two coats of copper bottom paint No. 16 colored black by the addition of one-half pound of dry lampblack per gallon of paint.

Ungalvanized areas within the superstructure and fairwaters and interior of free-flooding spaces, shall be painted with one coat of black plastic composition, formula 90, over one coat of dark zinc chromate primer, formula 84D, and one coat of anticorrosive paint, formula 14D.

Galvanized areas inside the superstructure and fairwaters and interior of free-flooding spaces, shall be painted with one coat of dull black paint, formula 13, over one coat of dark zinc chromate primer, formula 84D.

I'm assuming you are talking about the 1/72 Gato, I've looked at my instructions and anthracite gray is not mentioned at all. Interesting. Maybe the difference between the U.S and german versions.
          Here is the link to ships camouflage. http://www.shipcamouflage.com/submarines.htm
          Hope this helps.
          Don

Comment

• violetrock
            • Jan 2007

Don,

thanks for your reply, this

Don,

thanks for your reply, this helps a lot!
            Yes, I build the 1/72 Revell Gato and it´s the Revell Germany version.
            In all building steps mentioned, the instructions of the Revell Germany kit ask for Revell No. 9, which is anthracite grey.
            What clour is stated in the Revell US instructions for these areas?
            Or better, can you provide me a scan of the Revell US instructions? Maybe there are some more differnces in the two instructions?

Thanks,
            Thomas

Comment

• boss subfixer
              • Aug 2004

Thomas,
              I'll see what I can

Thomas,
              I'll see what I can do for scans. As for the colors, Light Gray,Light Ghost Gray,Semigloss Black, Silver, Flat White and Brass. The hull assembly section just refers the builder to the paint guide on the last page.
              Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
              X