X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne frey
    • Aug 2003

Balao upgrades?

I am learning about this class of boats as I am starting a Revell Gato hull to R/C. I have some time before it matters,so the main part of building this will closely follow David Merrimen's build.
    My question:
    I have seen the Balao sail upgrade offered. I have noticed the hull has different limber hole patterns vs the Gato. The kit has the main part of this represented on a flat (almost) part. Is a full Balao upgrade in the works?(i.e. an upgrade part with the holes.
    Are there any other differences visually to be noted?
    Already I see each boat can be slightly different.
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Hi Wayne,
    You are mixing up

Hi Wayne,
    You are mixing up two separate issues. The Balao sail is indeed quite different from the Gato (which in turn had many modifications, depending on the time period & boat). A Balao sail in resin is available from Ironbottom Sound.

The type of limberhole pattern depends on the shipyard where the submarine was built, and is irrespective of whether it is a Gato or Balao. The single, "half-circle" pattern indicates a boat built using the Electric Boat plans. These were used by both EB (CT) and Manitowoc (WI) shipyards. They are found only forward of the conning tower fairwater. The multiple elongated "slot" pattern, which extends aft as a single set of slots is characteristic of boats built to the Portsmouth Naval Yard plans. Boats built at Portsmouth (NH), Mare Island (California) and Cramp shipbuilding (Philadelphia, Pa.).

Confounding the issue can be additional limber holes added after manufacturing; for example Gato herself (SS212) is an EB boat but later had additional slot-like holes added (while retaining the lower half-circle holes).

As far as upgrades, yes, some secondary market manufacturers are working on upgrades which include new freeflood slot patterns, as well as a pattern to allow one cut out the missing lower ballast tank floods. And, of course, the four diesel exhausts are also missing...

Comment

• wayne frey
      • Aug 2003

Tom,
      Thank you!! Russian boats I

Tom,
      Thank you!! Russian boats I understand well.This is all new to me on the fleetboat stuff. I am learning as fast as I can since Carl Dietz gave me a Revell Gato for christmas. It just has to be built !!
      As I noted before,many boats seem to have unique characteristics. So the Revell model,as provided, can be properly represented as a Balao with the tower upgrade, and maybe changes to guns? Which boat numbers would be correct in that configuration (allowing for different guns)? This may be a big question. I do not know.Still learning
      I would like to settle in to a specific boat number to follow.
      As a side note, I am glad you are still here. The difficultys you may have posting pictures might have to do with file size. If they are really big,it will stop the uplink.Resizing will fix that.
      Personally, I like big pictures. But, I usually have no problems uploading unless I try a really large one.
      Someday,you and I will have to meet
      I am looking forward to it.
      Can you hook me up on the above question? It is good information to post,also for the green peas like me

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

As I noted before,many boats

As I noted before,many boats seem to have unique characteristics. So the Revell model,as provided, can be properly represented as a Balao with the tower upgrade, and maybe changes to guns? Which boat numbers would be correct in that configuration (allowing for different guns)?
        OK, Wayne, here's the rundown. Pick your boat from these.

Balao class built at either EB or Maintowoc were]The difficultys you may have posting pictures might have to do with file size. If they are really big,it will stop the uplink.Resizing will fix that. [/quote]

No, the files are all under 300 KB. Tried posting again tonight; same problem, no luck. Too bad, as I have a lot of material for your Russian site that I can't get posted, as well as more fleet boat stuff. It absolutely won't work at all for me. Another half hour shot trying, and my patience is all used up.

Comment

• aeroengineer1
          • May 2005

I have some pics that

I have some pics that I just took of the Balao sail this weekend. I can send them to anyone that might need them in a few days when I get back.

Adam

Comment

Working...
          X