X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

651 Julliett SSG

Project 651, Julliett class SSG. Diesel electric powered cruise missile submarine carrying four P-6 "Shaddock"(later P-500) air-breathing cruise missiles. Missiles fired from deck canisters raised up to 15 degree angle for firing. Missiles were radio guided to target using data from the "Front Door/Front Piece" radar & guidance system, installed in leading edge of the sail, which rotated 180 degrees to expose antenna. Propulsion was 2 diesel engines & 2 electric motors driving 2 shrouded propellers. Test depth 300 meters.

[b]Julliett schematic]

[b]Juliett SSG (K-77) photos taken in Providence, RI]

Note the "Front Door" radar is rotated to operational position

Front Door/Front Piece Missile Control Radar & Guidance closeup

Sail details

Missile tube details
    The missile tubes retract into a freeflooding space between the upper superstructure (outer hull) and the pressure hull. Seen below are the front of the missile canister, with the pressure hull at the bottom. The space is roughly six feet between the two hulls. The second (right) photo shows the rear of the missile canister and the flame exhaust deflector. This picture was taken from the superstructure deck.

Torpedo Loading Lifter
    Many medium size Russian submarines (including the Alfa) have these devices on deck. They rotate freely in a ring attached to the submarine hull (inner hull), and the upper cone mates with a special end fitting on a crane. Rather than having torpedo loading hatches like US submarines, Russian submarines are loaded by attaching a dockside crane with the special fitting to these lifting devices that are on deck (and permanently attached to the submarine hull). The submarine (bow or stern) is lifted partially out of the water, and the torpedoes are loaded through the upper torpedo tubes from a special barge built for this purpose. Both outer and inner (breech) torpedo doors are open during the operation, and the torpedoes loaded on a slight downward angle, attached to a winch device. First picture illustrates lifter near bow. Second and third photos are two views of the port and starboard (covered partially with a mat to prevent accidents) lifters near the bow.

Control room of K-77

Maneuvering Room

[b]Note] The Juliett submarine in Providence, RI, the K-77, was used for surface shots & drydock shots of a Hotel I class submarine in the movie "K-19". Fiberglass decking was placed over the flame deflectors, a fiberglass Hotel class sail was installed atop the Julliett's sail, and a long extension (extending partially below the waterline) added to the stern in the shape of a Hotel stern. This also made the shorter Julliett closer in length to the Hotel I SSBN.

[b]Juliett SSG on patrol with missile tubes raised to firing position]

• wayne frey
    • Aug 2003

Nice work Tom.
    That boat is

Nice work Tom.
    That boat is in Rhode Island,yes?
    I took these pictures for them while I was in the Ukraine.Somehow,they knew the missle was there. This is a Shaddock:

Comment

• tom dougherty
      • Jul 2005

K-77 in Rhode Island

Nice work Tom.
      That boat is in Rhode Island,yes?
      Yes, it is. I've added some more photos and details above. This particular submarine was used in the movie "K-19" as I have described.

Nice Shaddock photo!! It's tough to come up with photos of that missile!

Tom

Comment

• tmsmalley
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

Nice stuff you guys. I

Nice stuff you guys. I wonder if the CIA or NSA has this stuff!

Comment

• lociz
          • Jan 2007

Thansk for the pictures Tom.

Thansk for the pictures Tom. Can u tell me more about the Torpedo loading Lifter? Very interesting. Where on the hull are these lifting devices placed? Tryed looking at the pictures but could not locate them.
          Do you know how much of the sub is lifted and at which angle?

Comment

• tom dougherty
            • Jul 2005

Can u tell me more

Can u tell me more about the Torpedo loading Lifter? Very interesting. Where on the hull are these lifting devices placed? Tryed looking at the pictures but could not locate them.
            See additional photos added above.

Comment

• gerwalk
              • Dec 2004

Anechoic tiles (one of my

Anechoic tiles (one of my favorites photos).
              This is the exit of the RI Julliet sub museum. Since they cut the external the cross section of the tiles can be clearly seen:

My hand is rather big but you can figure out the external hull and tiles thickness. According to the museum's guide (a SC member BTW) the conical voids in these tiles were designed to absorb Mk-48 torps active sonar.

Comment

• talwar
                • Mar 2007

Hello my dear brethren, I'm

Hello my dear brethren, I'm in

Does anyone know what kind of propellors they had?
                Time to boost this section!!! Party's on guys! (tried to register last year too, but somehow it got lost I guess, now I thought to give it another try and it worked!!!!)

Regards
                Roel (VMF's most feared analyst )

Comment

• talwar
                  • Mar 2007

I told you so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/Severodvinsk/Julietwater.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/Severodvinsk/Juliettdrydock2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/Severodvinsk/Julietdrhdock.jpg

I told you so...

Comment

• gerwalk
                    • Dec 2004

Welcome Talwar,
                    it's rather crazy to

Welcome Talwar,
                    it's rather crazy to post in both sites more or less the same things but he have to live with that...

As for the Julett props: it has two shrouded props. The number of blades? Don't know... maybe the guys at the Juliett museum in Providence know. Phone number (no email!!! ) 401-521-3600

The guide over there is a SC member (can't remember is name) and was building a RC model of the Juliett.

Comment

• gerwalk
                      • Dec 2004

I've just contacted Ken Johnson

I've just contacted Ken Johnson the only SC member that works at the Juliett submarine museum. He said he is "quite certain they are five-bladed".

I was also analizing a stern view of a Tango class and it seems to have also 5 blades props (considering the Tango as a derivative of the Juliett though it had three props)

Comment

• tom dougherty
                        • Jul 2005

The propellers on a Julliett

The propellers on a Julliett are also shrouded. I have a large engineering blueprint of the class in my model room. If you look at the diagram I posted above of the Julliett. you can see the shrouds over the propeller in the view from the top.

Comment

• gerwalk
                          • Dec 2004

The propellers on a Julliett

The propellers on a Julliett are also shrouded. I have a large engineering blueprint of the class in my model room. If you look at the diagram I posted above of the Julliett. you can see the shrouds over the propeller in the view from the top.
                          Hi Tom,
                          That's what I said in my first reply to Talwar: <As for the Julett props: it has two shrouded props>
                          The issue here is the number of blades. Ken says it is five and I believe him!

According to the "Dark Waters" book the shrouded propellers on the Juliett were first discovered by a USS sub spying on a Russian port. They tracked a Juliett and took photos of the propellers using the periscope just below the surfaced Russian sub. The shrouds explained why the propellers noise was muffled when compared to previous trackings on the J class. That implies that the first Julietts had no shrouds.

Comment

• shadowpeo
                            • Nov 2003

Tom, Where can one get

Tom, Where can one get copies of those blueprints

Comment

• talwar
                              • Mar 2007

I'm not sure that you

I'm not sure that you said that here Pablo... I actually think that was on SP. You have a PM there too.
                              I already figured out what the two four bladed props were. I also think their diameter is way too large to be shrouded on a sub and if Ken says it's five then I believe him too.

Comment

Working...
                              X