X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • big jim
    • Feb 2006

Lights

Can someone tell me what colors each light should be? Any ideas on how to light them up?
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

The one on the starboard

The one on the starboard (right) side of the conning tower would be green and the one on the port (left) side of the conning tower would be red. All the other running lights, white. How to achieve this practically is another question. I found some 1.2mm lamps in the model train section of my local hobby shop that might do the trick. The clear lenses of the kit seem to be large enough to drill out to accept them. Any of the lights mounted on a pole or mast I think will accomodate running the wires down the center if you substitute some small brass or aluminum tubing for the plastic pole. But those red and green guys, and that white one at the stern chock... those are going to take some real magic to conceal. I thought my 1:72 Type VII lighting was tricky with red and green LEDs and Radio Shack mini bulbs. I also thought that this much larger Gato would have proportionally larger running lights. Not so!! These buggers are tiny! Well, just one more issue to tackle after I get the boat actually functional.
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• big jim
      • Feb 2006

Thanks George.
      I'll see what

Thanks George.
      I'll see what I can come up with. If nothing else than some clear green and red paint where appropriate. Maybe, fiber-optics would be the way to accomplish the task.

Comment

• crazy ivan
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

Good idea, Jim. Fiber-optics might

Good idea, Jim. Fiber-optics might be the way to go at that.
        sigpic
        "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• mermaid
          • Feb 2006

http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_idea.gif I've thought about the

I've thought about the lighting problem also. How about using a smaller diameter clear plastic rod to act as a light guide? It'll take some experimenting but the concept might work! (I hope.)

Comment

Working...
          X