X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Late war (1945) Gato fairwater Drawing & Photos

Another photo series for those desiring to convert their fleet boat models to late war (1945) configuration. This is the final cutdown performed on the USS Flasher (SS-249), now a memorial in Groton, CT. Flasher scored the most tonnage sunk during WWII under two successive captains, Reuben Whitaker and George Grider.

First a drawing of Flasher's "cutdown" evolution from her launch in 1943 to mid-1945. Drawing from Wm. R. Mc Cant's book "War Patrols of USS Flasher".

[b]Flasher fairwater photo walk around (high resolution photos)]

[b]Bridge cockpit closeups]

Mast closeups. Forward most is Type 4 search periscope with integral ST ranging radar. Next is Type 2 thin "pencil" attack periscope. Next is SJ search radar, and on separate extendible mast is SV air search radar, replacing earlier SD omnidirectional.

[b]40mm Bofors gun (forward fairwater platform)]

• cody
    • Nov 2006

Sweet!.......Thank you!

Jeff

Sweet!.......Thank you!

Jeff

Comment

• crazy ivan
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

You 'da man, Tom! In

You 'da man, Tom! In putting my tower together, I have to believe that Revell planned for these type of mods. There are some details and painting instructions that apply to areas almost completely hidden when you build the early war version.
      sigpic
      "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

In putting my tower together,

In putting my tower together, I have to believe that Revell planned for these type of mods.
        George,
        Since I don't have a Revell 1/72 Gato, I'll take your word for it. I have now posted above some additional closeups of the bridge cockpit area, to help in conversion planning & detailing.

Tom

Comment

• cody
          • Nov 2006

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?p=1729874#post1729874

Mr. Hargrave is kinda going

Mr. Hargrave is kinda going that route....

Jeff

Comment

• kagnew
            • May 2005

WOW!
            GREAT STUFF!
            thanx for the pix

WOW!
            GREAT STUFF!
            thanx for the pix

Comment

• tom dougherty
              • Jul 2005

I have more material, but

I have more material, but due to chronic problems with posting photos at this site, there will be no more. See my posting in General on problems posting photos.

Comment

• big jim
                • Feb 2006

Sorry, but, it sounds as

Sorry, but, it sounds as though you are picking up your toys and going home.
                I well know how frustrating these web sites can be. If you don't believe me just ask my wife!!! However, my desire to help other modelers far outweighs my desire to put a fist through this screen monitor.
                Take care,
                Big Jim

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                  • Aug 1994

I have more material, but

I have more material, but due to chronic problems with posting photos at this site, there will be no more. See my posting in General on problems posting photos.
                  Tom,

Please give me a call about this problem. We can work out a solution.

...and please understand that this is not a problem with the SubCommittee web site or forum. All of the 'free image posting' sites have occasional problems....some more than others.

-many thanks,

Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tom dougherty
                    • Jul 2005

Sorry, but, it sounds as

Sorry, but, it sounds as though you are picking up your toys and going home.
                    NO, you just don't get it. After spending the better part of two days at the keyboard posting a number of research photos & trying very, very hard to share my "toys", I'm just too goddamn discouraged!!!

In two days of off and on work, I've managed to post only about 40 items. If we get this mess fixed, I'll go right back to posting, but an hour last night and a half hour this morning trying to post exactly ONE item and NOT being successful was the end of the line for me.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't have bothered posting in the first place!!

Comment

• kagnew
                      • May 2005

tom
                      your doing great!

tom
                      your doing great!

Comment

Working...
                      X