X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mermaid
    • Feb 2006

Kit props vs after market

I took a close look at the props supplied with my 1/72 Gato kit and came to the conclusion that they should be fairly efficient. I measured the diameter as 1.2865" which would be APR. 92.625" full size. As it turns out, The actual prop diameter was about 8'-9". My documentation had indicated 96" but I was wrong. It seems that it would be possible to use the kit props. Comments?
  • aeroengineer1
    • May 2005

I would use them as

I would use them as a tool to make a casting or buy some. I am sure that if you were to hit one of those things on the bottom, they would be toast.

Adam

Comment

• mermaid
      • Feb 2006

http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_redface.gif Point taken. Just thought

Point taken. Just thought that I might save a few $s for some folks out there.

Comment

• aeroengineer1
        • May 2005

No I understand the point.

No I understand the point. I was just trying to help.

Adam

Comment

• rokket
          • Oct 2005

Floating Drydock says the full

Floating Drydock says the full size were 7'-9.5" (93.5"). Scale would be 1.29" or 33mm. Rabeosch (spell) sells 30 and 35mm, I'm thinking about the 35mm. But they are expensive, US$20 per prop plus postage. (Fortunately I've found an Australian distributor, but it will still cost me to get them). I'm going for 35mm, and my model is just static display. (I figure 2mm over is better than 3mm under). I'm just interested in weathering the brass to look like weathered bronze, but you migth really need the metal for RC (Platsic could be damaged I's think).

U-Boat props were bronze and then steel, are we all sure Gato's were bronze?

Comment

• mermaid
            • Feb 2006

http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_idea.gif Dear Rokket:
            I heve

Dear Rokket:
            I heve frquently had to represent natural metal finished components on some of my plastic static display models. I found a product called Rub N' Buff which fills the bill very nicely. It is a paste that comes in bronze/brass and aluminum/silver. You just clean the part, wet sand with very fine (wrorn out 600 or finer) wet & dry paper and rub in the paste. Let dry for a few minutes and buff with a soft cloth. Presto! A plastic part with a natural metal finish. Hope this helps. The props supplied in the kit are more than adequate for a static model and are the exact size to boot! You will also save money.

Comment

• seadog
              • Sep 2006

I understand mermaids cost saving

I understand mermaids cost saving advice as I felt the same after
              looking at those nice plastic props included in the kit until I accidently bumped
              one on the door jam while moving the hull and watched as two of
              the three blades broke off.
              Think what the bottom or side of a pool could due to them.
              I am afraid that its going to be brass props for me.

Comment

• crazy ivan
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Engel http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalog/?language=en is having a

Engel http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalog/?language=en is having a 50% off sale on his brass props right now. He lists the 4 blade Type-A 35mm, Left or Right, for 6,72 EUR. They appear to be in stock at the moment. I believe I paid well under $40 for a pair last spring from them, and that included shipping within a week to the US.

Also, we had a discussion on prop diameter back in January in a General Forum thread titled "Food Fight? - Three bladed US Submarine screws"

It was stated there that the drydocking plan for the USS Cobia shows the four bladed prop diameter as 8' 2 1/2". Other plans have them at 8'. The concensus was that during the war, five shipyards building fleetboats were getting props from at least half a dozen suppliers. So variations of a few inches were not unreasonable. Now, 35mm at 1:72 works out to 8' 3.21". Close enough for me.
                sigpic
                "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• sinkinpat
                  • May 2004

sweet thanks for the tip.

sweet thanks for the tip. I just placed my order. saddly I too have to wait until X-mass. I didn't even think I was getting one until my 2 year old found it hiding and showed it to my while mom was out of the house.
                  I will have to reserve opening it until the 25th.

but since I know I have already ordered as many references as I can get. I know I have spent more on books now than the price of the kit.

Comment

Engel http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalog/?language=en is having a

Engel http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalog/?language=en is having a 50% off sale on his brass props right now. He lists the 4 blade Type-A 35mm, Left or Right, for 6,72 EUR. They appear to be in stock at the moment. I believe I paid well under $40 for a pair last spring from them, and that included shipping within a week to the US.
                    Bummer, the nett result of this sale seems to be they have sold out of all the props i wanted

Comment

• boss subfixer
                      • Aug 2004

I believe ships and things

I believe ships and things also has these props.

Comment

• raalst
                        • Feb 2003

check out the list of

check out the list of (US) distributors at

Comment

• rokket
                          • Oct 2005

Mermaid - thanks for the

Mermaid - thanks for the info, I'm realy thinking of going this way, a big time-saver over weathering brass, and of course $$$

Crazy Ivan - good source, and thanks for the diameter info

Still, were these puppies bronze, or like the later VIICs, steel or something elese?

Comment

Working...
                          X