• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Red Lead Primer??

Anyone know what color coating was used under the superstructure and in the free flood areas? I'm partial to reddish primer 'cause I think it looks nice, but this may not be accurate.
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko
  • rokket
    • Oct 2005

I do not know, but

I do not know, but in the German VIIC they primed and then painted over with antifouling hull colour, making it quite dark. The COD guidebook and a couple web photos from inside superstructure under hull casing show a light gray (I think the same as the main of Measure 32), but I don't know what thta is based on. It woulkd be nice to have a paint guide! I did find something for the coast guard in the 30s, and I think they left primer in some spots and in other covered with a topcoat. I'll see what I can dig up.

Comment

• mkeatingss
      • Nov 2003

Paint Scheme for Free Flood Area

When I was on the boats (58 - 78), we painted the entire, under deck area the same color as the deck -black. But, I've been told, some boats painted the companion way area light gray.
      You can take it for what it's worth.
      Mike K.

Comment

• rokket
        • Oct 2005

Hi Mike,

both make sense, black

Hi Mike,

both make sense, black a bit more I guess. The beauty of black is that it really hides everything! I've built a p-hull with some detail for my VIIC, and painteed it a med gray with rust and mottling, to try to make it stand out a bit. ut insode it is almost invisble, it might as well be black. I think fluoresent pink would stil be barely visible!

Comment

Working...
        X