X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

Gato flood holes?

Does anyone have or know of a source for a drawing with early Gato flood holes for the lower hull?
  • subshop
    • Aug 2003

IT DEPENDS. WHICH BOAT ARE

IT DEPENDS. WHICH BOAT ARE YOU MODELING? even though the fleetboats were made in a assembly line fashion the construction of most boats were usually overseen by the captain of a particular boat and he usually made changes as the boat was being built. so flood holes were different from boat to boat. once you know which boat you are modling there are different resources you can follow. hope this helps. neil
    p.s. depending on where you live you might have one of these beauties in your own back yard ie. s.s. ling in N.J. area, S.S. Pampanito in CA., S.S. Lionfish in MA.

Comment

Are we talking MBT flood

Are we talking MBT flood ports on the bottom, or the limber holes in the superstructure? The limber hole pattern varied based on the building yard, and the boats themselves were modified as the war progressed. I believe the flood ports remained the same as the layout of the tanks did not vary.

The best thing to do is to decide which boat you wish to model and in what time period. You can then get specific source material from the National Archives.

Comment

Are we talking MBT flood

Are we talking MBT flood ports on the bottom, or the limber holes in the superstructure? The limber hole pattern varied based on the building yard, and the boats themselves were modified as the war progressed. I believe the flood ports remained the same as the layout of the tanks did not vary.

The best thing to do is to decide which boat you wish to model and in what time period. You can then get specific source material from the National Archives.
        Thanks guys!

MBT's flood holes not limber holes.

Any of the original five boats will do as built (high sail, high cigarette deck, encolsed shears). NARA does not have photos of the lower hull of sufficient clarity due to keel blocking and angle while in drydock. NARA also does not index the drawings well so anything other than S-1 Booklet of General Plans is almost impossible to find for the original linen (most of which has been redrawn for Guppy or fleet snorkel anyway). No luck so far in microfilm for a decent copy of S-7 Docking Plans which will show all underwater openings and protuberances.

I mostly build surface units but I'd like to do the Trumpeter Gato's correctly for at least the grosser features. Once I do an "as built" early boat I'll probably do a second with the first cut down on the sail.

Comment

• mkeatingss
          • Nov 2003

I've got a drawing showing

I've got a drawing showing the Flood ports and valves for Balao and Tench boats.
          If anyone wants a copy, email me at mkeatingss(at)cox.net. I'll reply with the drawing in BMP format.

Mike K.

Comment

I've got a drawing showing

I've got a drawing showing the Flood ports and valves for Balao and Tench boats.
            If anyone wants a copy, email me at mkeatingss(at)cox.net. I'll reply with the drawing in BMP format.

Mike K.
            Thanks Mike. Someone has already sent me a set similar to yours with Balao and Tench.

Ron

Comment

• spongjim
              • Feb 2005

Ron,Did you find what you

Ron,Did you find what you needed yet? I will be gonig to Mobile in two weeks to take pictures of the USS DRUM again for a 1/48 Gato I am building. Will these pictures help you?If so I can send you some of the pictures if you want to wait.

Jim

Comment

Ron,Did you find what you needed yet? I will be gonig to Mobile in two weeks to take pictures of the USS DRUM again for a 1/48 Gato I am building. Will these pictures help you?If so I can send you some of the pictures if you want to wait.

Jim
                Thanks Jim but I have something close enough, Balao flood holes which if not 100% correct will look better than none at all. Per one of Murphy's many laws I was cleaning out a box of old research and found some I did for someone on Guppies and found a handful of docking plans for Guppy boats. No two docking plans match 100% once the boats get the conversion (each docking plan is for 5-12 boats so some boats match each other).

If you want some photos of Drum with a really weird look (late 40's, early 50's) let me know.

Comment

• nautilusmodels
                  • Jan 2004

Jim
                  If you are going for the sole purpose of getting flood vent photos it will be a wasted trip.

I went to get research photos for the Revell kit in 2005, she is out of the water, but the dirt comes up to the bottom of the boat. I got quite dirty & wet tring to get up under it for a look, but couldn't see anything. go to the link below to see how she sits in her cradle. And take a set of cheap coveralls.

http://nautilusmodels.com/images/DRUM116.jpg

Edited By nautilusmodels on 1160745137

Comment

• nautilusmodels
                    • Jan 2004

Does anyone have or know

Does anyone have or know of a source for a drawing with early Gato flood holes for the lower hull?
                    Ron,

The next time you are in the microfilm room, they are on one of the GATO reels (6 of 12, IIRC), just check the index reel for the image number.

I might be back in November if the weather holds up. There were a few things I didn't gett of the sub films that might come in handy now. IIRC, Revell did include the flood vents on the test shot I saw.

Comment

Working...
                    X