X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkeatingss
    • Nov 2003

Trumpeter Gato - First impressions

[color=#000000]First of all, let me say, this is an extremely nice kit. Not only is it bigger than the Lionfish, but, it's, also, much more finely detailed.
    Building, it straight from the box, will result in a model anyone would be proud to display. Only someone knowledgeable in submarines (like this group) would notice the errors. And the errors are in detail, not overall appearance.
    But the question, for most of us, is, "Should I get it? Is it worth the price?
    If you have a passing interest in subs, or just want a nice submarine model for your mantelpiece, definitely YES!!
    If you're a surface ship modeler/lover, probably not. It'll just make your other models nervous and uncomfortable. And it's size will definitely intimidate those 1]
  • hakkikt
    • Jun 2006

I received my Trumpeter Gato

[color=#000000]I received my Trumpeter Gato today, so I will add my 2c.

I dont profess deep knowledge on US subs, so I will refrain from commenting what should be where on a Gato and what might be missing (in fact I have learned a lot already by reading the first post of this thread).

What I like]

Comment

• goose814
      • Jul 2004

I am currently building the

I am currently building the Revell Lionfish as an early Gato using Nautilus Models resin tower and wood deck, so have studied the early Gatos quite in-depth and have several observations that might help with the Trumpeter kit. Please keep in mind that this applies to the Gatos built by Electric Boat and Manitowoc. I haven't studied the Portsmouth design as extensively.

As built, only the first three boats, Gato, Greenling, and Grouper had anchors on both sides of the bow. Later, these boats had the port anchor removed and the opening plated over. On the Trumpeter kit, the anchors and anchor wells appear too small to me.

Next, the following subs]http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0821410.jpg[/url]

Unfortunately, this is the area that Trumpeter really messed up. No Gato subs had both the un-cut conning tower as well as undimpled torpedo tube shutter doors forward and aft. If you build the kit with the stock conning tower, then the forward and aft torpedo tubes need to be modified. If the tubes are left as is then you cannot depict any of the above thirteen subs and the conning tower has to at least have the aft deck cut down.

Lastly, the deck gun. As built, these early boats all had a 3-in. 50-cal. mounted aft of the conning tower. There were no deck extensions (sponsons) either forward or aft.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the Tambor class can be modeled using the Trumpeter kit. They were very similiar to the Gato, differing mainly in internal construction. Externally, they had two anchors and the same conning tower, dimpled torpedo tubes, and deck gun arrangement as the early Gato boats.

I highly recommend using Navsorce.org. They have some great photos of these subs as well as all other subs.

Gus

Edited By goose814 on 1156956774

Comment

• goose814
        • Jul 2004

Well, I've gone over the

[color=#000000]Well, I've gone over the Trumpeter kit and have concluded that it is lacking in many areas. Please don't get me wrong, I'm happy that any kit of a fleet boat was released, and even if I knew what was wrong with it beforehand I still would have bought it. And I plan on buying the 1944 version when it comes out. So don't think I'm bashing the model or anything. I've made the following list of corrections that are needed if you want a super-accurate as-built Electric Boat Gato class sub. Straight from the box, it still will be an impressive kit and only someone in the know would notice anything. Also, I don't consider myself an expert on the subject and not in the same league as a lot of others here, so don't shoot me if something I point out is wrong. However, any criticism is appreciated because I feel it's important to pool our knowledge and strive to learn more from each other. The following list was compiled by comparing the kit with many photographs available to anyone, so I'm fairly confident that it's accurate. Anyway, here goes]

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

Really nice summation of the

Really nice summation of the kit and what is necessary to correct it. Just received my kit, and only did a cursory examination. Better than the Lionfish, but as you so nicely list, the small details need a bit of work.

Comment

Working...
          X