X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stark
    • Jul 2006

1/144 GATO - the Kit

go to my homepage to see more . Brian Stark STARKS homepage BSThe model is 26 " long & 2 & 1/4 " wide , very nice detail in the deck plating , tower , hull . All the trim parts are very clean , no flash present , Rivet detail is not their ,but at this scale you would not see it any way ! Special features , she comes with a control room , and a preasure hull that includes multie bulk heads and deck levels , TRUMPETER must plan on a cut away version . The preasure hull fits snugley inside the GATO and even has their own mounts! Allmost a WTC builted in ! Should be very easy to R/C her. BS

Edited By STARK on 1155035171
  • blesht
    • Dec 2005

Thanks for the pictures. I'm

Thanks for the pictures. I'm looking forward to the late war model. One question for you fleet boat experts - I just noticed that Gato seemed to have both starboard and port bow anchors; I had thought that the single bow anchor placement was one of the features that distinguished EB-built boats from the ones built from the same plan in Manitowoc. Anyone know how many EB boats had two bow anchors?

Barry

Comment

• mkeatingss
      • Nov 2003

To the best of my

To the best of my knowledge, only Silversides had both anchors. And, one was removed before commissioning (Starboard, I believe).
      But I'll take it. It gives me the choice of Portsmouth or EB style boats. It's easier to blank off one than blank off one and install the other.
      I definitely have to get one of these. If just to hold me till November.

Mike K.

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

Hey, Mike, a quick question

Hey, Mike, a quick question for you. Looking at the bow photo that Brian posted, does the bow shape look to you to be more like the Tench bow? The bottom "knuckle" looks to me a bit sharper in the photo than the more gradual Gato/Balao shaped bow.

Tom

Comment

• mkeatingss
          • Nov 2003

Hi Tom,
          I hadn't looked

Hi Tom,
          I hadn't looked that closely, but you're right. It does look more like a Tench bow.
          Hmmmm. Amberjack = Tench....... $#@%##, now I HAVE to come up with $80. (I'll need the second model for the upper rudder.)

Mike K.

Comment

• mandrake
            • Nov 2005

Trumpeter have finally got around

Trumpeter have finally got around to updating their site.

Some more shots of the Gato for us all to mull over]http://www.trumpeter-china.com/war513/products/en_message.asp?id=388#[/url]

Comment

• tom dougherty
              • Jul 2005

Thanks for the link. Actually,

Thanks for the link. Actually, the bow looks much more like a Gato in the photos on that web page. Overall, it looks to be a very decent model, and I note that it has limber holes cut out AND what looks like an internal pressure hull insert. Tower looks like an early Gato, and the propellers appear to be both left & right handed pitch (unlike Lionfish). This could be a very good kit!!!

HOWEVER, I do note that the kit does continue the fine tradition of US submarine models not needing ballast tank openings in their lower hulls. Hey Mike, how exactly DID you guys get the Amberjack to submerge?

Edited By Tom Dougherty on 1155160225

Comment

• stark
                • Jul 2006

Hey Tom , and guys

Hey Tom , and guys I have ship yard plan set ,that was given to me from Mr. Don Evans , For you guys that dont have it I will put it up here, when I can get it to the copy shop . And send a disk off to Jeff , so we can ask him to put in the Report for us all . BS

Comment

• tom dougherty
                  • Jul 2005

Hey Tom , and guys

Hey Tom , and guys I have ship yard plan set ,that was given to me from Mr. Don Evans , For you guys that dont have it I will put it up here, when I can get it to the copy shop
                  Brian,
                  That would be greatly appreciated. Could I possibly get a CD-ROM version? I'd pay for reproduction & shipping. Thanks!

Tom

Comment

• stark
                    • Jul 2006

Sure Tom , make you

Sure Tom , make you a deal , You get my CD and post it here for everybody, and call it even ? I will get to a Kinkos tonight , so give up your address . I have a photo cd to send off to Tim and will mail them at the same time ! BS

Comment

• joe ellias
                      • Jul 2006

I just got the Trumpeter

I just got the Trumpeter Gato 1941 version. It looks great, but the hull seems lacking in limber holes. I thought these boats had holes running the entire length of the hull. Will the 1944 version have additional holes?

Comment

• boss subfixer
                        • Aug 2004

Joe,
                        This is off the E.B.

Joe,
                        This is off the E.B. version. The limber holes only go back part way down the hull, then there is a long open area for flooding the super structure and letting the water back out. The Portsmouth plans had limber holes all the way down the side of the boat.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Don

Comment

• joe ellias
                          • Jul 2006

Thanks Boss Subfixer,
                          From your response,

Thanks Boss Subfixer,
                          From your response, I am to presume the Trumpeter late war Gato will have the same limber hole configuration as the 1941 version?
                          Joe

Comment

• stark
                            • Jul 2006

The best I can do

The best I can do right now guys , this plan sheet was given to me by Boss Subfixer ! You may see it better at my homepage . BS

Comment

Working...
                            X