Main deck gun area deck extension material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Main deck gun area deck extension material?

Gents,

It's time for me to add the deck edge extensions in the area of the 5"/25 guns on my 1/72 Gato. I'm scratching this up since I'm so late to the game. Is there some Evergreen styrene product the would serve as the deck slats that are present atop these extensions? If not, is there a recommended way to engrave the slots between the deck slats that will look decent when finished?

TIA,

Bill
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you are trying to duplicate the deck board slats, I would use a piece of plastic as a sub floor to make the extension.
    I would then use tape of the correct width of the slats or the gaps.
    Tape as the slats, I would paint over the tape to get the raised slats.
    If for the gaps, I would then apply glaze in to the gaps and build up the slats with 1, 2 or 3 layers of tape.
    Carefully sand flat and remove the tape. Might even run a sharp exacto blade down each side of the tape before pulling.

This is the same process as repairing weld lines on the hull.

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Thanks, Ralph. Wayyy too much work! I'll come up with something. As it is, the weld lines on the hull would be monstrous in 1:1 scale!! Maybe I won't bother with the decking. I almost didn't do the extensions, until I found an overhaul photo that showed them. And, of course, the boat I'm doing has 4 of them, 'cos it was refitted into a "Barge Buster" with 2, 5"/25's. She doesn't have to be entirely correct. I want to have a runner!!

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X