X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern or
    • May 2014

Noticed something new, antenna placement

So, while I was looking something up (bilge keel) for someone in my copy of NAVPERS 16160, I noticed that the wire antennas on the subject boat (USS Perch, Balao class) doesn't have the "T" mast behind the tower like the Revell kit does. Rather, it has the wires going to the bow mast and last railing posts. Any idea when this modification was done?
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

The antennas do not always go to the aft. If the deckgun is aft you usually see them run forward to a T mast and if the deck gun was forward then it ran aft. If the boat had a gun forward and aft, well, reference photos are important. That drawing might be an artist conception and not reality, do you see any photos like the drawing? Now I am curious and going to look, (and I thought I was going to have a restful morning! HaHa)
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• southern or
      • May 2014

It's weird, Tang and Wahoo have it in the back, Bowfin has a T in the front, but Flying Fish and Spadefish at some point have no T mast at all and have them rigged like the training manual. I'm probably wrong, but it looks like the radio wires got rearranged and the mast removed when the low profile towers were fitted, which is what my replacement one is...

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Spadefish does have T in aft AND aft gun. Interesting!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• southern or
          • May 2014

Check out Tusk. Hers is a T aft, between the aft gun (she had two) and the tower. The radio 'T' Mast doesn't seem to have a uniform location or height, at all.

Comment

• wlambing
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

You guys have any idea how hard it is to hit that little, skinny wire with a 5"/25???

B^)

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

The Besugo SS-321 shows a 1946 refit with antennae modified to poles.

Bill, LOL, no idea. My comment was an observation from photos of the Gato and Balao class subs.

Comment

• southern or
                • May 2014

Originally posted by wlambing View Post
                You guys have any idea how hard it is to hit that little, skinny wire with a 5"/25???

B^)
                Where there's a Carl, there's a way.

Comment

Working...
                X