• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lhdockyard1
    SubCommittee Member
    • Dec 2011

Wanted To Buy - USS Holland by Rocky Mountain

I know this is a stretch but does anybody have a USS Holland kit from Rocky Mountain Scale Subs (I believe that was the name). Looking to get a hold of one as a research tool for developing a new kit of the same or similar size. Let me know if you do. Thanks.

Don Spielberger
    Loyalhanna Dockyard
    lhdockyard@aol.com or PM me here
  • lhdockyard1
    SubCommittee Member
    • Dec 2011

Re: Wanted To Buy - USS Holland by Rocky Mountain

Or the Holland from 32nd Parallel for that matter. Either one will work. Don

Comment

• bob the builder
      Former SC President
      • Feb 2003

This is an RPMTech kit that I have. Its fully RTR in 1/32 scale.

RC Submarines and how I built them, remote controlled and fully functional subs.

Not sure what exactly you're asking for, but that's what I got!
      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

That's a later boat based on U.K built Hollands. The U.S boats that used that design were called 'A' boats. The earlier boat that was modelled by RMSS was of similar design, but a smaller submarine and with different deck arrangement. It also had different hydroplane arrangements, when originally built they forward of the prop. Upon feedback from the crews that worked her, they were changed to an aft arrangement.

Good plans of this boat exist, so if a model isn't forthcoming making a new master shouldn't be too troublemsome. The spindle shape makes it a nice subject to turn on a lathe.

Personally I would love to see a model of the Fenian Ram, I believe that was the purest Holland design, with close to ideal proportions.

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

Don,

depending on your need, Jim Butt has a Holland that I believe is from a RMSS kit.

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• lhdockyard1
            SubCommittee Member
            • Dec 2011

Thanks everybody for the input so far. I do have a set of plans from Jim Butt as well as some photos and we have begun some of the basic master work so far. I was just thinking if I could find a kit, or built model for sale it would make working on the master so much easier to have a hull to study from all angles as a sanity check against the plans. Not having one won't stop us from developing it but if one does turn up somewhere I would sure like to get it. Keep the information coming, I appreciate it.

Don

Comment

• subdude
              Official Peon
              • Feb 2003

Don,

Any progress? Ready, willing and able to jump in when needed.

Jim
              SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• gantu
                • Aug 2009

i

Comment

Once again, unfortunately it is not the same boat. That is modelled on British HM Holland 1.

Comment

• lhdockyard1
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Dec 2011

Hi Jim:
                    We had to set this projct aside temporarily to work on a few commissioned projects for customers that were in a hurry (various USCG and USN projects). The last of those is about 2 weeks from completion so the plan is to return to the Holland next. Based on some input I think we will change to a turned hull plug and then add pieces to the turned plug to get the final shape needed. Hoping to have the basic plug ready by end of year. We shall see. I will keep you up to date as we make progress. Thanks for the offer of help. I will be taking you up on that at some point

Don

Comment

Working...
                    X