• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • canadasarmy
    • Nov 2007

Looking for any working WWII full size submarine

Hi,
    I am looking for any kind of FULL SIZE working WWII submarine. I do't need any weapons to work, just as long as it can go up/down (not really needed), forward/backward. You could also just reply straight to my e-mail: stephantanchak@gmail.com. Also, if there is a link to the website or a e-mail adress, could you post it? This post will be removed once the submarine is purchased.

Thanks so much!

Is this a wind-up? http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_eek.gif

Is this a wind-up?

The only functioning 1:1 WWII sub I know of, is a German Biber midget sub, and that is based at the RN submarine museum at Gosport- it isn't for sale.

Andy

Comment

• Rogue Sub
      • Jul 2006

werent you trying to buy

werent you trying to buy a running akula 6 months ago

Comment

• PaulC
        Administrator
        • Feb 2003

The only WWII boats I

The only WWII boats I know of that are close to working, and by that I mean WAY off, are the Razorback and Silversides (the latter just because some of her engines run). Any boat can go "backward/forward" under tow. "Up/down" is the tricky part. Neither of those boats are for sale, however.

There's a u-boat in the UK that was looking for a home recently although it was in very poor condition having been sunk during WWII.

If this is for a film project several boats (Pompanito, Silversides) have been rented and towed to simulate being under way.
        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
        <><

Comment

• boss subfixer
          • Aug 2004

Actually Paul down is real

Actually Paul down is real easy, it's the up part that could be real interesting.

Comment

• PaulC
            Administrator
            • Feb 2003

Excellent point, Don! I think

Excellent point, Don! I think down could be achieved even before back and forth.
            Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
            <><

Comment

• jodyae52
              • Mar 2007

Real Sub

Actually, I think the USS Cod in Lake Michigan? is as close to a war time configured Fleet boat as you can get. They have not "civilianized" the entry hatches, like all the other museaum boats have been. The hatches were left as they were when the boat was built.

Comment

• mylo
                • Aug 2005

Stephan,

Interesting request. I'm going

Stephan,

Interesting request. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if it's for a movie type of project, you'll have to build a replica. If you're a particularly well off collector with deep pockets, I believe at best you're going to have to settle for a relic in very poor condition, IF, you're lucky. .....no forward/back, ....or ... "up", but as mentioned, I don't see a problem with "down".

Mylo

Comment

• tmsmalley
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2003

I checked with NAVSEA and

I checked with NAVSEA and the only sub they have on museum hold is the AGSS ex-Dolphin and it was still operational in 2005. I don't think they would transfer to a private citizen. It would be a fun one to have though!

051215-N-3532C-001 en:San Diego (en:15 December, en:2005) – Crew members aboard the auxiliary research submarine en:USS Dolphin (AGSS-555), pull into San Diego harbor after conducting an underway period off the coast of Southern en:California. Dolphin was commissioned on en:17 August, en:1968 and serves as the Navy's deep diving en:submarine and scientific test platform. It is assigned to Submarine Development Squadron Five in San Diego. U.S. Navy photo by Journalist Seaman Joseph Caballero (RELEASED)

Comment

• canadasarmy
                    • Nov 2007

RE: Real sub

Hey jodyae52,
                    You said there was a USS Cod for sale somewhere. could you e-mail me come contact info or email of the place?

Thank you so much!

Comment

If you want a full

If you want a full sized sub for a film contact me. I've worked 32 years in movie visual effects and can get it done.

Steve Neill

Comment

Working...
                      X