Wanted R/C sub in the UK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted R/C sub in the UK.

Does anyone have or know of a good sub for sale in the UK at the moment as I am now wanting to get back into the hobby after quite a long time without one.
    I would like either a U-boat or a British class boat but would really consider anything decent to get back into subs.

Many thanks.
    Steve

Are you after a kit

Are you after a kit or a finished model?

Comment

I would prefer a finished

I would prefer a finished model but as I have rebuilt a few subs in the past I am not opposed to one needing some work as long as it is basically sound.

Comment

Well there is this one

Well there is this one on ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Darnell-S-Class-W ... dZViewItem

Comment

Yes I have seen that

Yes I have seen that one and am watching the auction. I have not owned a Darnell sub before. What are they like bearing in mind the age of these early Darnell subs?

Comment

They're okay. Hulls tend to

They're okay. Hulls tend to be stand-off scale, if you want an exact scale model, you're better off spending your hard earned on an OTW. But then you're looking at two to three times the price.

The diving technology is rather dated by todays standards. You can modifiy the internals to work very well, but as standard they can be a bit disappointing (i.e. trim issues, slow dive times).

Hulls can be prone to warping, however if the builder pegs them properly then this shouldn't be an issue. All hulls will warp over time if they aren't pegged securely. Epoxy hulls are less prone to this effect, but I've seen them have problems too!

Andy

Comment

I quite agree with you

I quite agree with you about the OTW Andy as I have had one of Bob's type V11 in the past. An excellent sub and real quality. Can't seem to find one of those for sale though at the moment and I do not really want to build one from scratch. In fact there does not seem to be many subs at all for sale in the UK. I do like the "S" class model but it is like you say a stand off scale really. Still I will keep looking. I don't mind paying for shipping if I could find a decent sub on the other side of the pond.

Comment

Not many ready built models

Not many ready built models I'll grant you, but there are plenty of hulls available. Plus you also have European vendors.

There is a chap advertising an unbuilt OTW Type VII and a Seehund too in the March issue of Marine Modelling.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                X