X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rev. johnnyjihad
    • Aug 2006

Rare U-505 model

I found this model on ebay, and I am thinking about buying it, but I need to know this]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....IT&rd=1[/url]
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

A rare U-505 indeed! That's

A rare U-505 indeed! That's a Type VIIC not a Type IXC.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• stark
      • Jul 2006

You tell um Jeff ,

You tell um Jeff , The only thing rare with that is the box cover , You go to any Hobby Shop or Online Hobby kit seller and buy the Revell 1/125th TYPE 7 kit , witch that is !! For around $25.00 Bucks , and not haft to wait for it in the mail Rev Johnny ! I would call you Jihad , But I dont want any war started , And yes many folks have R/C d this model , mainly as a dynamic diver ! The first R/C TYPE 7 & I ever saw was in a old 1993 or so Scale Ship magazine of that boat , the guy seald up the hull packed in rechargeable batterys , receiver , moter servo for bow , rudder , with a speed controll . He had a small syphon tube builted in to suck out any water that would seap in , they even showed it diving and running around a Revell HMS Snowberry model , realy cool , but with all the advancements in small sise components , you could now really do a bang up job and have a fun play toy for cheap . Good Luck , and know I no longer have that magazine Rev ! Brian

Comment

• rev. johnnyjihad
        • Aug 2006

its not a type VIIC

its not a type VIIC Stark, it is the U-505, which is a type IXC U-boat

Comment

• desert boat
          • Feb 2003

Johnny or whatever ... You

Johnny or whatever ... You need some basic education ! The U-505 is and was a Type IX and you can visit her in Chicago. The model depicted in the Revell U-505 kit uses an earler produced hull of a Type VII! The two types are as different as night and day to almost anyone. Revell's marketing and art teams Fouled or Fxxxxx Up when they put out that stupid kit years ago forgetting that there really are people who know the difference beteen a VII and a IX. Why don't you join SubCom and at the same time, come up with a better name.

Comment

• aeroengineer1
            • May 2005

Johnny,

I would not argue with

Johnny,

I would not argue with Jeff on this one. I do not think that you are going to win, considering that his main area of interest is in WWII uboats and he produces aftermarket kits to improve the scale of the out of scale kits.

Adam

Comment

• davietait
              • Jul 2006

I'll confirm that this is

[color=#0000FF]I'll confirm that this is definately the U-99 VIIc that Revel are still selling now. I've just had a look at my one thats still in its box and its exactly the same kit. Revel have a bad habit of doing this , they used to make a model trawler kit of the Ross Kandahar but when they re-did the box art they renamed it as Arctic Corsair. Now you might ask what the problem is , well the Ross Kandahar was a real trawler and the model is a fairly acurate representation of her BUT the Arctic Corsair still exists as a museum ship in Grimsby and looks totally different.

When I pointed this out to Revel 7 years ago they admited they'd fessed up and send me the 1/72nd HMCS Snowberry kit for nowt !! ( didn't want to build it so sold it for £40 lol ).

Revel's art and box design department seems to work seperately from the model designers most of the time ]

Comment

• stark
                • Jul 2006

Hey Rev , I built

Hey Rev , I built many of those models , and dresed them up with brass shafts , railings , did some scribing , dug out the limber holes , and the deck slots ! She makes a fine model , their are resin dress up kits you can buy to really make her sweet now. I dont even have my last one I did anymore I gave it to a kid that was memorised by the thing . Love to see their faces light up , remember looking at guys models when I was a boy , all I ever heard was Hey dont touch that , or get away kid , but a few folks took time to talk to me about it . One of the things that sent me down the path of model making . And I think this may be your ansewer to a good Question!! Brian http://www.puremtc.com

Edited By STARK on 1157585587

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  • Aug 1994

Rev,

Might I suggest that you

Rev,

Might I suggest that you do some basic research before making a statement of that sort?

While it is abolutely correct that the U-505 is a Type IXC, the model seen in your photo is most definitely not any of the Type IX series. If nothing else, the saddle tanks are a dead give away.

-Jeff

p.s. The U-99 was a Type VIIB, but the external differences, especially in that scale are barely noticeable.
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• rev. johnnyjihad
                    • Aug 2006

I did. I know what

I did. I know what the difference is between a VIIC and IX. I know that 505 is a IXC, and it resides in chicago. as for the model's box cover, to me, it looked more like a IXB. I was trying to ask, because obviously it was lost in translation, if I could make this model seaworthy by using WTC parts made for the Revell U-99, VIIC, or VIIC/42.

Edited By Rev. JohnnyJihad on 1157646202

Comment

• JWLaRue
                      • Aug 1994

Well...okay.......but a Type IXB and

Well...okay.......but a Type IXB and Type IXC are virtually identical, so I still do not see how that model could be mistaken for any Type IX.

But to answer your "can it be r/c''d" question - yes, with a little work.

-Jeff
                      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• stark
                        • Jul 2006

Rev are you asking if

Rev are you asking if the WTC made by Big Dave for the Revell VII and VIIC/42 will work in the U 99 , the ansewar is no , the U 99 kit is around 16'' long two diferent scales . Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X