• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lyle jansma
    • Feb 2003

USS ARGONAUT SUBMARINE SS166 1/72 Scale - Scratch built submarine

Hello,

I came across this sub (I believe the scale is 1/72) on E-Bay a few months ago and picked it up thinking I would finisher her up and use it for R/C combat. Well, I don't have time for the project and would like to find a new home for her. I've relisted the sub on E-Bay and here is the link if interested USS ARGONAUT

Thanks,

Lyle Jansma
  • britt boyette
    • Feb 2003

What is The material it's

What is The material it's made out of?

Comment

• lyle jansma
      • Feb 2003

Hello Britt

Balsa & bondo covered

Hello Britt

Balsa & bondo covered in fiberglass (scratch built)

Lyle Jansma

Comment

• britt boyette
        • Feb 2003

How does it check out,

How does it check out, scale wise?

Comment

• lyle jansma
          • Feb 2003

The fella I got her

The fella I got her from said 1/72.

Comment

• britt boyette
            • Feb 2003

No, I mean how does

No, I mean how does it match up with known existing plans as far as lines etc...

Comment

• lyle jansma
              • Feb 2003

Well, I didn't get a

Well, I didn't get a set of plans with the sub so I really can't be sure. My original plan was to set the sub up for R/C combat. There is a group of guys here in Western Washington who run 1/72 scale R/C combat warships. I got talking to one of the members who said that no one had tried to use a sub. When I saw the ARGONAUT on E-Bay and listed as 1/72, I did the research and found that her twin deck guns made her great option for R/C combat.

Alas, I have no time to devote to her. My hopes are that someone will get her, clean her up, pop some molds, and offer a kit for the 1/72 R/C combat crowd. Just think of the looks on their faces as ARGONAUT rises from the murky depths, fires off her BB cannons and submerges to safety as some hapless battleship becomes a sub itself

Lyle

Comment

Hi Lyle,
                Was interseted in your

[color=#000080]Hi Lyle,
                Was interseted in your post. From whatt I know of RC Combat, there are some specific rules and criteria. Especially in the construction of the boat. In particular, a certain portion of the hull below and above the water line can only be a definite thickness and must past a specified drop test for penetration. That would rule out any diving designs you would have. Also, I don't know that you would be allowed diving as one of your defensive points. I believe Tuabman Plans had a set of prints for a 1]

Comment

• britt boyette
                  • Feb 2003

You must be refering to

You must be refering to the group call, "The Queens Own" . Great group of people and those combat events should be on everyone's mush go watch list.

Comment

Working...
                  X