X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apa-228
    • Feb 2015

EBAY - RC SUBMARINE OVER 5 FT Item #193511920473 - NOT MINE

It is located in Canada and the ad shows both free shipping an paid shipping?
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

32nd Parallel boat with the original internals. Nice find.

Comment

• schmitty
      • Aug 2006

very cool model. I don't think it was made by 32nd parallel though. I don't recall them offering any post WWII models or anything that wasn't 1/32nd scale. Not sure exactly which sub this is but pretty sure it's smaller scale than 1/32. The internals do look a bit like there style though.

Jason

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

32nd Parallel did manufacture a 1/96th Scale OHIO for a brief time. It turned out to not be very accurate, but was well made. This boat is definitely a 32nd Parallel kit.
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

It is 32nd Parallel. I bought one from them back in 1998ish and soon after sold it to Jim Wheeler. I regretted it, until I found one unbuilt a couple years ago. It will see water someday.

Comment

• schmitty
            • Aug 2006

Interesting, I never knew they produced those. That must have been near the end of their business? I spoke with them in the early nineties and they where very devoted to WWII and 1/32 scale only at that time. Thanks for the info.

Jason

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

yep, they did an Ohio, and also a Holland.

Comment

• subdude
                Official Peon
                • Feb 2003

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04955 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	134657

Yes indeed they did a Holland. In magnificent 1:12 scale!
                SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• ccontrol
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by subdude View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]9074[/ATTACH]

Yes indeed they did a Holland. In magnificent 1:12 scale!
                  Looove to get my hands on one of those!

Comment

• sam reichart
                    Past President
                    • Feb 2003

they also did a Schnellboot and a hydrofoil as well!
                    Yeah, Jim's Holland is exceptional.

Comment

• salmon
                      Treasurer
                      • Jul 2011

I remember the hydrofoil. I almost bought a 32nd Parallel Type VII, but the hobby store owner said get the Darnell Type VII. I did not know and trusted him. Well as I was cutting holes and stuff, I recognize many issues. Eventually it collected dust. I ended trading it away. well it is coming home and the sub I did not complete, will be finished!
                      Bob had a sale and the Darnell Type VII he had was the one I traded 8 years ago. Tina was a little less than pleased that the monster is coming back however, she understood the value in me completing the sub. (there are memories of my dad helping me on it, so emotional too).
                      Anyways, back to topic, I did not know about the Ohio. Very cool.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• apa-228
                        • Feb 2015

I had the 32nd Parallel Schnellboot and had the "hots" for the Hydrofoil and Type VII but couldn't afford them at the time. I heard that the hydrofoil was a bear to operate with the Astroflight motors being under powered. I bought Sam's old Type VII from Ebay from a fellow in NC.

Comment

• schmitty
                          • Aug 2006

I have a 32p type VII. It's not the most accurate model but not bad either and it was exceptional for its time. When I first got into subs in the early nineties as a young man the big 32p boats seemed like the ultimate goal and something I could never afford. Someone in our local sub group here in the Northwest had the hydrofoil and even though he was a very clever guy he never did get it to operate very well. It would climb out of the water on it's foils then collapse back down again over and over even when going in a straight line. He tried varying the angles of the foils etc but nothing seemed to solve the problems.

Jason

Comment

• sam reichart
                            Past President
                            • Feb 2003

If Don Spielberger reads this post, he can verify that when built correctly, that boat was an absolute monster on the water. One of the members of the Buffalo Boat Club (and a hull maker, Karl) built one that I saw run back in the 80s. The finish and the weathering was spectacular, too.

Comment

• lhdockyard1
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Dec 2011

Yes, I do remember that. It was eventually sold to a modeler friend of Karl's in Chicago. He did end up building a second one that was almost as awesome that I have tucked away.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X