• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

Pay It Forward Experiment

Good morning, all!

I can't recall if we tried this in the past or not, but I'm willing to give it another shot if there is interest at all.

The idea of a "pay it forward" thread is to help move those old components and projects collecting dust on the shelf and replace it with something that you actually need/want. The thread is seeded with a gizmo/kit/etc. and whoever needs/wants it posts up that they'll take it. Shipping costs are fronted by the person offering the part up (I assume international people would need to buck up for extra shipping, but that shouldn't be a big deal). Once a person raises their hand to take the part, they're responsible for offering up something different to replace it, of equivalent value (or greater, I suppose).

I would be willing to donate a few items to start things out, let's say something small (around $30 value), something more substantial (around $100?), and a bigger one (maybe $300?). Each would have its own thread.

What does everyone think? Worthwhile or no?

Bob
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by bob the builder View Post
    Good morning, all!

I can't recall if we tried this in the past or not, but I'm willing to give it another shot if there is interest at all.

The idea of a "pay it forward" thread is to help move those old components and projects collecting dust on the shelf and replace it with something that you actually need/want. The thread is seeded with a gizmo/kit/etc. and whoever needs/wants it posts up that they'll take it. Shipping costs are fronted by the person offering the part up (I assume international people would need to buck up for extra shipping, but that shouldn't be a big deal). Once a person raises their hand to take the part, they're responsible for offering up something different to replace it, of equivalent value (or greater, I suppose).

I would be willing to donate a few items to start things out, let's say something small (around $30 value), something more substantial (around $100?), and a bigger one (maybe $300?). Each would have its own thread.

What does everyone think? Worthwhile or no?

Bob
    I think this is a cool idea, and one that people can get behind pretty easily. There's always a little do-dad that someone may be looking for, and they may find it here!

Comment

• ccontrol
      SubCommittee Member
      • Mar 2012

Great idea! I am always looking for fun new gadgets and have plenty of my own to share to others.

Comment

Working...
      X