• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lgp380
    • Nov 2017

FOR SALE: RC Submarine Custom made 50" long

For sale:
    Description: RC Submarine – Custom made - all electric. 50” length. Static dive. Lead acid battery lasts 2 hours per charge. Equipped with an electric ballast tank, depth control and navigation stabilizer. Also equipped with a live video camera (works at periscope depth). Mini TV provided with package. The hull is mainly an acrylic pipe divided in compartments. The hull is totally airtight and withstands the internal pressure imposed by the ballast system.

A bit of history: I started design and construction a few years back while living at a community with lakes, so it was fitting to either build a boat , or more interestingly, a submarine. I spent a few weeks creating the 3D plans and construction took about 400 hours in the span of 4 months. This boat was finally christened in Lake Backyard, and since then, it was a real pleasure to use, and the star of many afternoon weekends while patrolling the depths of Backyard Lake while friends and family marveled in awe at how cool this toy was. Not to brag, but his sub not only did run great, but also trouble free. After a couple of years in dry dock, I took it to a friend’s lake, not on the charts, and at some point I distracted and lost view of the sub. Perhaps, the lack of practice with the controls allowed me to let the sub sink. No big deal, I thought, but after 10 minutes and no sight of the sub, my friend told me that this was no ordinary Florida Lake, since it was more than 30 feet deep at some parts. I thought USS Thresher all over again. But, to my relief, the sub just surfaced about 30 minutes later, thanks to the built in safe mechanism that activates the ballast tank to surface. Close call!!
    Since then, I moved to a new home, which unfortunately has no nearby lakes, so this sub has just been mothballed for the last 5 years. Not a befitting end to such a nice boat. Therefore, with a heavy heart I decided to find it a new captain.
    This Sub is by no means perfect, it requires a wide berth to be able to turn, so it is not meant for a regular pool. Of course, it can be modified, and there is also a lot of room for improvements and additions. After such a long time since the last patrol, it will probably need some adjustments and perhaps balancing of the internal weights to run, dive and surface in a perfectly straight way. I just checked it in a small pool and controls operate as intended, I even did some minor work on the fins’ linkages to try and a make it turn more. But still, it is too long for a regular residential pool.
    However, once adjusted, this is a turnkey boat, that you will take to the water, flip a switch and go. No need to fuzz with recharging gas. All you need is a charged battery, (that can be charged with any 12v charger), and you can use this boat for more than two hours, and dive and surface many times.
    The sub did cost around US$3700 in materials, labor and construction (some things were made at a shop), that is in 2005 US dollars so I will be taking a big loss.
    Package contains:
    1-RC Sub 50” length, with video camera.
    2- RC radio with charger.
    3- Video camera receiver with mini TV.
    Price: US$3000.00
    Feel free to contact me with your questions at lgp38@bellsouth.net.
    Videos can be made available upon request.
    Attached Files
Working...
X