SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

USS Alligator blueprints found in Paris - Washington Post 12/13/03

Blueprints' Discovery Sparks Search for Historic Sub

By Michael E. Ruane
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, December 15, 2003; Page B01

(Blueprints are posted below - TS )

Catherine G. Marzin, a researcher with the federal government's National Marine Sanctuary Program, didn't know what awaited her that morning in the French naval archives outside Paris.

She was on the trail of one Brutus De Villeroi, a 19th-century French inventor who in 1861 designed the U.S. Navy's first submarine. The archives didn't have a biographical file on him. But the agency did have a box of his papers.

When Marzin, 34, opened the box in May and extracted file 3084, she was stunned. Inside were hand-drawn antique sketches of a vessel shaped like a fountain pen. It had a series of tiny portholes, a diver's chamber and strange, folding oars sticking out of its sides. "PLANS du Bateau Sous-Marine," the drawings said]http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/alligator/blueprints/sub1_1000.jpg[/img]

Edited By TMSmalley on 1071516487
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Tim, you utterly amaze me.

Tim, you utterly amaze me. How do you come up with this stuff? Now I really am having a hard time restraining myself from jumping right into the project. The drawings are pretty close to what Ragan published in his book, though far more detailed. Alas, yet another antique boat without a circular cross section (sigh ) [Must - control - urge - to - start - new - sub! Must - control........]
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• tmsmalley
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Use the force Luke! http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif

Use the force Luke!

Comment

Working...
      X