• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmsmalley
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Northrup Grumman Christens RC submarine - news from Seawaves magazine

(Steve Reichmuth has posted a nice big photo of this sub in his post below. Thanks Steve! TS)

N-G Christens RC Submarine Model

(photo cut lines) Northrop Grumman Newport News employees are pictured standing behind NNemo 1, a scaled, radio-controlled submarine model that was designed by Newport News. From left]I provide a link below to the S-P website. Their sub does what Rick Galinson was working on with his "visible sub" at The SubRegatta this year.[/i]
    Sias Patterson website - REALLY COOL RC/autonomous sub for "Harbor Security & mine detection"
    This is a shot of Sias-Patterson's "Fetch" AUV. Go to their website for more info.

Edited By TMSmalley on 1070540857

See similar, but smaller, "Remus"

See similar, but smaller, "Remus" autonomous submersible from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Massachusetts.Art Broder's Models
    Click on Remus picture to enlarge.

Comment

Thank you Tim,

Seeing more of

Thank you Tim,

Seeing more of these what appears to be capable littoral shallow water designs lately. Seen a similar shaped French concept on the net too.

I like seeing an X-stern. Finally an X-stern on a proposed American design for a change! Perfect for shallow water. The whole submarine design community is exploring bold new directions much like the American aeronautical community has at least as far as new hydrodynamic hull shapes. Because of the absence of Rickover? I believe Rickover's absence of presence can be seen as early as in the New 'Virginia' actually. The Virginia is supposed to employ a single 'stick' helm concept among many things. In fairness to Rickover, if his strict design protocols and safety could be satisfied with the latest technology demonstrated, he might have conceded perhaps? When EB took the Albacore design and combined it with nuclear propulsion in what we know as the Skipjack SSN's, what a leaping advancement that was! Rickover believed strongly in twin screws for redundant safety, despite it's hydrodynamic inefficiencies over single screw vessels. EB showed him the data to back it up and convinced him a larger single screw was the way to go. The rest is history.

If submarines keep coming out with these new shapes, we will have to kiss our wood lathes good by! It would be a refreshing change perhaps?

Steve Reichmuth

Comment

Do my eyes deceive me,

Do my eyes deceive me, or are those props turning in the opposite direction than is typical for US boats? Normal rotation direction for multi-screws is "outboard-over-the-top" when viewed from astern. These appear to be turning inboard. Interesting departure from tradition, wonder why ...

Chris

SC1614

Comment

Yep... It's an X-Tail. The

[color=#000000]Yep... It's an X-Tail. The angle might be deceiving.

Another thing to note is no dunce caps on the props. I suspect these screws are just display only. If this is the new test mule, these will be swapped out with a couple variants of whatever David Taylor and associates have cooked up next.

Although this is obviously much cheaper than a 1/4 scale model, the problems associated with scaling up some of this hardware to 1]

Comment

Working...
          X