• Show
Clear All
  • tmsmalley
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Raise the USS Alligator! - Effort to find and raise civil war sub

watercolor by Jim Christley

~ From the NMLHA website ~

The Navy & Marine Living History Association is proud to be involved in the search for and raising of U.S.S. Alligator. In addition to the efforts of our member units in distributing information about the project, this website will be constantly updated with news about our progress--both in the pages of history and also on the sea floor. Following the brief explanation as to why the Alligator Project is so very important, there are links to a variety of related resources; we'll augment these as quickly as possible.

In 1863, at the height of the American Civil War, the U.S.S. Alligator went down in a storm off Cape Hatteras. Alligator was the most technologically advanced weapon in the Union naval arsenal, incorporating technology not usually associated with the Civil War Navy]http://www.navyandmarine.org/AlligatorArtwork/AlligatorViewsPoster_16Nov2003.jpg[/img][I]Go to the NMLA website
  • novagator
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2003

Cool, I have never heard

Cool, I have never heard of that sub before.

Comment

• desert boat
      • Feb 2003

When I first read Tim's

When I first read Tim's message, I checked the calendar, no, it isn't April 1st! Then I decided to look up the organization and Google gave me www.navyandmarine.org. I know that I'm ignorant about about a lot of things, but a Yankee submarine during the Civil War! Lo and behold, a beautiful organizational site packed with neat information including BOTH Yankee and Southern Navys. Sorry I was doubting you at first Tim! By the way, USS Alligator looks like an Electric Boat design with strong influences of the 688 Class. Tell me Time Travel dosen't exist!

Comment

• uss silversides
        • Nov 2003

Desert Boat- The bow looks

Desert Boat- The bow looks almost exactly like a 688!!!

Okay, who's going to be the first to crank out a model of this sub? (looks like a very well designed boat)

Jonathan

Comment

• tmsmalley
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

I'd like to see an

[color=#000080]I'd like to see an RC model of the oar powered version.

A Series of Firsts

The Alligator was the first submarine to]

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

I'd like to see.....

....this written

I'd like to see.....

....this written up as an article for the SCR!

-Jeff (who's always fishing for new articles )
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• mike byers
              SubCommittee Member
              • May 2003

hey Jonathan

I believe that a

hey Jonathan

I believe that a resin model of this boat is available, and I have seen pics of finished kits on the web. Can't recall the site just now but I'll try and find it.

Regards

Comment

• crazy ivan
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

I'd like to see an

I'd like to see an RC model of the oar powered version.
                Thought about it more than once, Tim. Found it near impossible to turn up any drawings one could consider remotely accurate to work from (like you probably found out during your early Hunley research). The oars were notoriously inefficient on the prototype. An RC version may possibly not move at all. Anyway, too many projects on the bench just now. Maybe after they've finally brought her to the surface......
                sigpic
                "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

Working...
                X