X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

SSN 795 to be named USS Hyman G. Rickover

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus will name the fifth Block IV Virginia-class nuclear attack boat (SSN-795) after the father of the nuclear submarine — Adm. Hyman Rickover, according to a Friday announcement from the Department of Defense. The service is celebrating the 60th anniversary of the first U.S. nuclear sub USS Nautilus (SSN-571) first journey under nuclear power.
    The announcement from the Pentagon came ahead of Mabus’ formal announcement at the Washington Navy Yard.

USS Hyman G. Rickover (SSN-795) will be the second Virginia boat to break with naming the class after states. Block III boat John Warner (SSN-785) is scheduled to deliver to the service next year. Previous to SSN-795, the service named a Los Angeles-class attack boat, SSN-709, after Rickover.
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Re: SSN 795 to be named USS Hyman G. Rickover

I totally dislike the "vanity plate" boat names.
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><

Comment

• tom dougherty
      • Jul 2005

As far as politicians are concerned, I agree. For Rickover, I have no objection.

Frankly, I'd be happy to see a return to honoring WWII subs by using the sea creature names.

(Now, this is the point where someone makes the snarky remark that Rickover said, "Fish don't vote". And then I reply (for what has to be the 50th time), "Rickover never said that. It was one of his aides, David T. Leighton who made this remark". Of course, if one checks the Internet for "research", you will find lots of ditto heads who keep up the myth that Rickover said it.)

Comment

• ssn705
        • Sep 2013

As far as politicians are concerned, I agree. For Rickover, I have no objection.

Frankly, I'd be happy to see a return to honoring WWII subs by using the sea creature names.

(Now, this is the point where someone makes the snarky remark that Rickover said, "Fish don't vote". And then I reply (for what has to be the 50th time), "Rickover never said that. It was one of his aides, David T. Leighton who made this remark". Of course, if one checks the Internet for "research", you will find lots of ditto heads who keep up the myth that Rickover said it.)
        Tom,

Ditto to everything you said. I am so tired of the misquoting...and the political patronage. While it is nice that the Virginia's are doing alot to reach out to their states and the maritime history of our names, I too would love a return to our actual history and go back to sea creatures.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X