Clear All
  • u-5075
    • Feb 2003

First [Soviet] nuke-sub may be scrapped

http://www.barentsobserver.com/first-nu ... 58932.html

First nuke-sub may be scrapped
    2009-03-15

K-3 submarine

The plan to rebuild the Soviet Union’s first nuclear powered submarine into a museum is in jeopardy due to the financial crises.
    It was supposed to be the year of pride for the old submarine, Leninskiy Komsomol. 2009 marks the 50 year anniversary for the Northern Fleet’s first operational nuclear powered submarine. On March 12th, 1959 the submarine joined the 206th brigade of the fleet, based in Zapadnaya Litsa.

In February 2004 it was decided to rebuild the submarine into a floating museum to be located near the historical Aurora battleship in St. Petersburg, writes Murmanskiy Vestnik. The estimated cost of rebuilding Leninskiy Komsomol is 500 million rubles (some 11 million Euros).

Now, according to Murmansk Vestnik, the famous submarine might end its days as scrap metal, although no funds for scrapping the sub exists on this year’s budget.

The submarine itself is laidup at the Nerpa naval yard on the Kola Peninsula. The reactor compartment from the sub is taken out and safely stored at the onshore facility for reactor compartments in the Saida bay, also on the Barents Sea coast.

Leninskiy Komsomol, also known as K3, was built at the naval yard in Severodvinsk in the period from September 1955 till it was commissioned on July 1st 1958.

Background information

The Russian Northern Fleet (Russian: Северный флот, Severny Flot) is an operational-strategic part of the Russian Navy. It is the youngest of the Russian fleet, established in 1933.

The fleet's headquarters are in the closed town Severomorsk, where the main base and administrative centre for several bases located throughout the Kola Gulf are located.

The Northern Fleet is the most powerful of Russia’s four fleets. About two thirds of all the Russian Navy's nuclear force is based there. The fleet consists of nuclear-powered missile and torpedo submarines, missile warships, aircraft carriers and anti-submarine ships. Russia’s only operating aircraft carrier, “Admiral Kuznetsov”, belongs to the Northern Fleet. The flagship of the Northern Fleet is the nuclear-powered large guided missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky.

In 2008, the Russian Navy resumed its presence on the world’s oceans after several years of low activity. Northern Fleet vessels operated in the Atlantic Ocean, the Mediterranean and the Caribbean Sea.
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

I just about crapped my

I just about crapped my drawers when I came across that headline elsewhere earlier today, minus the Soviet insert! On reading the article, it was certainly a great relief to see that it did NOT refer to our beloved SSN571. Still, it would be a darn shame if they don't find the means to preserve such an important part of their history, as we have done.
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

Working...
    X