X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • u-5075
    • Feb 2003

U-534 on the move.

U-boat on the move in Mersey - don’t panic!
    Mar 11 2008 by Kevin Core, Liverpool Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -20603397/

IT MAY be more used to travelling under the waves than over them, but a relic of World War II is on the move.

The U534 submarine, the only complete German U-boat in the UK, has begun its five leg journey to a new home.

The vessel was taken apart using a diamond wire cutting process last month, and a section left Wallasey’s Mortar Mill Quay yesterday to form part of a new tourist attraction in Woodside.

The 240 tonne piece of hull from the 900 tonne vessel was carried by Mammoth, the floating crane - the other four will be moved between now and Friday.

Set to open in July, the new £2.5m attraction will tell the story of the sub’s history as a training vessel, and its sinking by an RAF Liberator in 1945.
  • locoworks
    • Jan 2005

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=u-534&s=rec

has a collection of

has a collection of pictures showing the "cross sections"

Comment

• Antoine
      • Feb 2003

shame on those who decided

shame on those who decided to cut her !
      It is called vandalism on a rare war relic.
      I'd prefer to see her going back on the sea bed, at least it would be a better place than this thing they will surely call a war museum.

Thanks guys over the channel for being so respectful !

http://forum-rc-warships.xooit.eu/index.php

Comment

• rick
        • Sep 2005

Yes, I have to agree.....I

Yes, I have to agree.....I know the intentions are good, but the fact that someone went thru all the trouble of lifting her off the bottom of the sea and all that it entails only to have her cut up into four sections...very sad.......So the U 505 is the only remaining intact Type IX in existence....is this correct? Rick

Comment

• rick
          • Sep 2005

Anyone????

Anyone????

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

So the U 505 is

So the U 505 is the only remaining intact Type IX in existence....is this correct?
            The U-505 is and has been the only preserved Type IX. The U-534, while salvaged from the sea floor, was never really given the care needed to preserve her.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• rick
              • Sep 2005

Thanx Jeff....I suspected as much....Growing

Thanx Jeff....I suspected as much....Growing up in Chicago I was lucky enough to go and see this boat many many times.....I still go to see it almost every time I go back up there....What is really sad is that out of the seven hundred Type VII's that were eventually built, we have one..... the U 995.... left in somewhat intact shape for the public to view. It is my understanding that the Chicago Museums curator did not want the U 505 when first approached with the idea, and it has been only recently that they have built a really first rate exhibit area to house this literal one of a kind treasure.

Comment

• tabledancer
                • Feb 2005

Rick,
                According to the people that

Rick,
                According to the people that gave us the special tour last summer,they bought the boat from the US Navy after it sat around many years,it was rescued from being used as a target,then hauled to the Windy City where it was hauled ashore to be displayed.The museum now and since it was purchased owns the boat.If I can find it I`ll get the info that we were given to you.

TD

Comment

• rick
                  • Sep 2005

Thanx...I would like to see

Thanx...I would like to see it......I read it in a Shark Hunters KTB that either the museum or the curator did not want the boat.........the boat sat outside for many years obviously.....but finally someone got smart and decided to move it inside and like I said, built a first rate display area for it....The tour guides are not that versed on the boat unfortunately....at least the one that I had last time I toured it...but I guess not everyone is a sub fanatic like us are they?.....Hard as it may be to believe....

Comment

• JWLaRue
                    • Aug 1994

Rick,

That doesn't seem to align

Rick,

That doesn't seem to align with what I've read about the museum's acquisition of the U-505....in fact, I think the museum went out of it's way to get it. Also, the fact that she sat outside for years is not indicative of the leve of interest.....most museum boats sit outside.

-Jeff
                    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• rick
                      • Sep 2005

Well, I have read where

Well, I have read where Harry stated more than once that the curator did not want the boat, but I will contact him and get a clarification....he is usually pretty accurate . I realize that the fact that it sat outside does not indicate a dislike of the boat Jeff. Obviously they have spent some serious money to get it inside. They have documented the building of its new home and subsequent moving of the boat. Really interesting in itself. It is much more enjoyable now to tour the boat in the middle of a Chicago winter....

Comment

• JWLaRue
                        • Aug 1994

Rick,

Is the museum curator from

Rick,

Is the museum curator from back then still around? Up until recently, I had something of a relationship with the previous curator, Keith Gill.

-Jeff
                        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Scale Shipyard / WLU
                          • Feb 2003

Jeff Is Correct here.

I have

Jeff Is Correct here.

I have been back to the U-505 several times and was allowed twice to go up on her deck and one time the boat manager came up with the keys and unlocked the 37mm gun. Thye had chains going through the handwheels to keep people from going up there and playing with it.
                          We also went down into the conning tower from the upper deck.

On one of my excursions up on the deck I went under the deck only to find that I had walked right under a hornets nest, it was a bit hairy getting back out from under there.

I was also taken around on the roofs of the buildings around the boat to photograph it from above. I am not fond of heights and the main roof next to where the boat was sitting was about 8 stories up and there are no railings!

Over the years there have been curators who did not care about the U-505. The Museum did indeed go after the boat, I am not sure about the museum actually owning the U-505 though, the USN has domain over all warships in the US, even the old USS Texas.
                          W.L. Upshaw

The Scale Shipyard - Maker of the largest selection of quality large scale fiberglass model ship hulls, fittings and running gear.
                          SUPPLYING YOUR HOBBY IS NOT OUR HOBBY

Comment

• rick
                            • Sep 2005

Well ok...I just got a

Well ok...I just got a reply from Harry over at Shark Hunters....according to him the original director was a Major Lohr, and he did indeed love the boat. Even going so far as connecting the cooling lines every month and firing up the diesels!!!! But the directors that came after apparantley did not share the same feelings for the boat, culminating with a Mr. Vic Danelov, who apparently told Harry personally that he didnt want "that thing" here...He was succeeded by Jack Kahn who shares our love for the boat and has done a fantastic job.....I knew I had read something to this effect somewhere....

Comment

http://www.postimage.org/gx2zXOG9.jpg
                              http://www.postimage.org/Pq_8fcJ.jpg
                              http://www.postimage.org/gx2zXEHA.jpg

Hi All,
                              Just an update on

Hi All,
                              Just an update on the U534 at Birkenhead. The project is going quite well as you can see.

Liverpool is having the year of culture in 2008 so I went over the Mersey to see some Sub Culture (Ouch!!) (It has to be better than the disappointing Klimt exhibition we also went to see.

Next to the U boat is also this interesting replica of Resurgam by the Rev. (Call me Pasha) Garrett.

Both well worth visiting.

Davy

Comment

Working...
                              X