Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

I visited Clamagore back in 2018 and took lots of photos (150+) with my Nikon DSLR. Even then there was discussion around disposal of the submarine, and her exterior was in very poor shape, severely corroded. I wrote that up with a photo tour in the March 2019 SubCommittee Report. Possibly the last extensive photo survey of the submarine. I also posted some photos to Navsource, as well as the SCR article.

Tom

Comment

• apa-228
      • Feb 2015

I was there in 1985 and she was in great shape with a docent crew of mostly WW2 sub vets. The docents were proud of the sub and were very willing to explain everything about it. The musuem expanded after that but interest in it lagged and this is the result.

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

Unfortunately, the role of the Guppy converted submarines during the 1950-70 Cold War period remains a largely untold story some 50-70 years later. Unlike the information released after WWII on the success of the fleet boats in the Pacific, many of the operations of Guppy submarines remain classified. Most people who toured Clamagore in the 21st century had no clue as to its uniqueness and history. Sadly, this will be gone.

Comment

• wlambing
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

She and her sister Corporal, as well as some others, were at Subase, Groton when I got up this way in January 1973. After Subscol, my first barracks billet was with Corporal's crew while I waited for Narwhal to come home. I don't know why, other than maybe my base cave-man genes kicked in, but evening battery charges down on the waterfront right after evening colors was magnificent to me! Raw horsepower, the low rumble, and the wafting of the exhaust across and downriver felt like victory!! 'Prolly in the same way napalm does!!!!

I miss those times, the people, and the boats, not necessarily in that order!

Comment

• ssn705
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by tom dougherty View Post
            Unfortunately, the role of the Guppy converted submarines during the 1950-70 Cold War period remains a largely untold story some 50-70 years later. Unlike the information released after WWII on the success of the fleet boats in the Pacific, many of the operations of Guppy submarines remain classified. Most people who toured Clamagore in the 21st century had no clue as to its uniqueness and history. Sadly, this will be gone.
            Maybe we should write a book Tom

Comment

• tom dougherty
              • Jul 2005

Interesting idea, Dave. You know how to find me.

Comment

Working...
              X