X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apa-228
    • Feb 2015

Article on the loss of USS Scorpion SSN-589

Lots of questions are still unanswered about the loss of the sub, this points to one theory, and sounds very plausible.

• tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

How many times do we have to bury this erroneous Craven theory? The bow section is intact, so a torpedo explosion is pretty much ruled out. The stern section is telescoped into the machinery spaces, clearly implying an implosion event.

The most likely explanation for the Scorpion loss, based on acoustic analysis and other evidence (e.g. melted main battery parts), has been outlined in detail by Bruce Rule. If you want to read about that and the evidence for it, I suggest you go to the SubCommittee Report, Issue 90 (Sept. 2012).

Comment

• apa-228
      • Feb 2015

As I stated this pointed to one theory. I did not say it was the definitive answer.

Comment

• robert f.
        SubCommittee Member
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by apa-228 View Post
        As I stated this pointed to one theory. I did not say it was the definitive answer.
        No, but you did say it sounds plausible.

Follow Tom's suggestion and read the article.

I can't help feeling sorry for the Scorpion's crew's families with this sort of "theories" (and even wilder plots like sunk by the Soviets etc.) popping up every now and then, disturbing their remembrance...

Comment

Working...
        X