Norway has released new footage of the Soviet submarine Komsomolets which sank 30 yea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

Norway has released new footage of the Soviet submarine Komsomolets which sank 30 yea

This is what the former Soviet nuclear submarine «Komsomolets» looks like – 30 years after it sank in the Norwegian Sea. The submarine lies on a depth of nearly 1700 metres, and it was filmed by the ROV «Ægir 6000» on July 7th 2019.

K-278 Komsomolets was the only Project 685 Plavnik (Плавник, meaning "fin", also known by its NATO reporting name of "Mike"-class) nuclear-powered attack submarine of the Soviet Navy. On 4 August 1984 K-278 reached a record submergence depth of 1,020 metres (3,350 feet) in the Norwegian Sea.[1] The boat sank in 1989 and is currently resting on the floor of the Barents Sea, one mile deep, with its nuclear reactor and two nuclear warheads still on board. The single Project 685 was developed to test technologies for Soviet 4th generation nuclear submarines. Although primarily intended as a developmental model, it was fully combat capable, but sank after a fire broke out in the aft engineering compartment on its first operational patrol.

The Komsomolets was able to surface after the fire started and remained afloat for approximately 5 hours before sinking.[2] Of the 42 crewmembers who died, only 4 were killed by the fire and smoke, while 34 died of hypothermia and drowning in the frigid waters while awaiting rescue that did not arrive in time. Because of this shocking loss of life a very public enquiry was conducted and, as a result, many formerly classified details were revealed by the Soviet news media.

[
  • Davidh
    • Feb 2016

It’s fantastic film.

I wish they would release more. I have emailed the Norwegian group responsible to see if they will release any more film.

Komsomolets’was a great looking boat and she handles nicely in the water.

Wow what a mouthful of a name. It's only been 6 months approximately that I finished building the Resolution class SSBN and once again the building urge has

David H

Comment

Working...
    X