• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seaman hornsby
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2015

Less Subs, but More Capable.

Just because we are adding the ability to launch ANTI-SHIP TOMAHAWKS missiles to our submarines, does not mean we should have less attack submarines.

I think congress should fund the Navy to have "PLENTY" of submarines. Having to much is better than having not enough.

The U.S. Navy’s latest shipbuilding plan underscores what service leaders and lawmakers have long known — the Navy is going to have too few attack submarines. To compensate, the sailing branch wants to pack more firepower into the subs it will have. The Navy’s goal is to maintain at least...
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

I agree that we should not allow the SSN level to go much lower. And the article you posted is seriously wrong in the following: "There’s little chance of the Navy boosting production of new submarines, which cost more than $2.5 billion apiece." An agreement earlier this year http://thediplomat.com/2014/05/us-na...-17-6-billion/ was for 10 Virginia class submarines at 17.6 billion. That's 1.76 billion per submarine. In fact, the program is held up as an example of a very successful cost containment program, with constant improvements in construction and acquisition costs.

I also think that at least 12 next generation SSBNs should be built ( 14 would be better). Meanwhile, we have some Congress Critters pushing for only 8, including the senator from my own Commonwealth of Massachusetts. If only 8, you would have 5 on patrol at any given time, and if they make up your major nuclear deterrent, 5 isn't enough.

Comment

Working...
    X