• u-5075
    • Feb 2003

The official ballistic missile sub of the Colbert Report

Navy Times.
    Trident sub joins Colbert Nation
    By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
    Posted : Saturday May 12, 2007 8:36:39 EDT

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/05/n ... t_070512w/

Maybe it’s his devilish handsomeness, or maybe his smooth, chocolaty baritone, but whatever the reason, Comedy Central pseudo-pundit Stephen Colbert has developed a slavish following.

Just because he said so, his legions have sabotaged the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, and they voted in droves to name a bridge after him in Hungary, to cite two examples. So the world might be well-advised to take notice now that Colbert has the crew of a ballistic missile submarine in his thrall.

It’s the Trident sub Rhode Island, to be precise, which Colbert featured on his May 8 episode after crew members sent him pictures of them posing around the ship with a “Colbert Report” poster. “Anywhere my poster goes, I go in spirit,” Colbert said, and so he anointed the Rhode Island as “the official ballistic submarine of ‘The Colbert Report.’ ”

“Nation, this makes the Report one of two shows with nuclear warheads, the other being ‘Hannity and Colmes,’ ” Colbert quipped, referring to the Fox News shout-fest.

However, eagle-eyed viewers could see that as Colbert spoke, the graphic above his right shoulder was not an Ohio-class boomer like the Rhode Island, but rather a Russian Typhoon-class boat, the kind made famous by the movie “The Hunt for Red October.”

But that detail was lost on the host, who wasted no time discounting the official Navy story about the presence of nuclear weapons on the Rhode Island.

“For national security reasons, the crew can’t specify whether there are nuclear ballistic, nuclear missiles aboard my nuclear-powered, nuclear submarine,” Colbert said. “But I doubt those 24 missile tubes are filled with laser-guided cannoli. Sure, it could be a decoy. But do my enemies really want to take that chance? Barry Manilow?”
Working...
X