• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Author James F. DeRose dies

Received an email this week from the family of James F. DeRose, author of "Unrestricted Warfare", notifying me he passed away on May 7th following a lengthy illness.

I had the privilege to meet Jim as he was finishing up his manuscript and looking for pictures he had seen on warfish.com. To my delight he sent me a copy of the galleys and even listened to my thoughts on it. Fortunately, I was able to hook him up with the photos he sought.

"Unrestricted Warfare" is the definitive account of the patrols of Mush Morton and USS Wahoo (SS-238). It is also a brilliant, in-depth history of Dick O'Kane in USS Tang -- emminently more readable than O'Kane's own work and more detailed than Tuohy's. As I told Jim at the time, "Unrestricted Warfare" is the book I had always wanted to read about Morton in Wahoo (and secretly longed to write).

Like many of the friendships I've struck up through the SubCommittee, Jim and I never met face to face. Yet we corresponded frequently and intensely via email and phone; sharing, critiquing, debating different aspects of the common interest that bound us together. It was a privilege to know such a bright, warm and interesting fellow and I wish his family my deepest sympathy at their loss.
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><
Working...
X