• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greg w
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2010

" Shadow Divers"

A very good book about trying to dive on and identify a WWII uboat found of of the east coast of the USA. I'm told it may be made into a movie
  • jefftytoo
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2003

Re: " Shadow Divers"

Hey Greg,

I agree, great book! And it has already been made into a good documentary, called "The Search for HItler's Lost Sub"—or something like that. Those two divers have actually become quite famous off that wreck, enjoying an ongoing successful wreck-diving TV show in recent years as a result.

Best,
    JeffP
    (Your SCR Sub Books editor)

Comment

• tom dougherty
      • Jul 2005

Re: " Shadow Divers"

It looks like the movie project has been shelved, as the original release date was 2013. It is listed as "in development" (and has been for 2 years). These things can have a stop & start quality to them, depending on how they are "pitched" and who signs on to do them. Supposedly, Peter Weir had signed on as Director, but he has pulled out of other films before.

For my money, give the project to Kathryn Bigelow. She did "Zero Dark Thirty", "The Hurt Locker" and "K-19: The Widowmaker". At least she goes for serious, tough subjects and tries to go all out for accuracy as much as possible. Instead of the usual generic submarine that we so often get in films (see U-571, as an example), she used a real Russian sub (K-77) and had it modified with fiberglass inserts and structures to look exactly like a Hotel class SSBN. If it has to be done by Hollywood, I prefer that it be Kathryn at the helm.

Comment

Working...
      X