X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne frey
    • Aug 2003

Rising Tide. - Russian side of the cold war

Another cold war book is about to be released.This one is from the russian side.Based on interviews from seven russian admirals.Due to be released mid-month on amazon.com.
    I hope it is not delayed like the other book.
  • tmsmalley
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

I got this one from

I got this one from www.eastview.com about a year ago. All in Russian, but still pretty cool.

Comment

• britt boyette
      • Feb 2003

That's the one I have

That's the one I have been wishing for, for some time now. It seems to be long out of production.

Comment

• wayne frey
        • Aug 2003

That is the book on

That is the book on the other link that is talking about the Alfa submarine book. Somehow, I got lucky and got one earlier this year. It is in russian though.Pictures are good.Even though it is in another language,it is a must have for students of the Alfa.
        As far as "Rising Tide",it is schedualed for release this week in hardback.Based on interviews with seven Russian admirals, it is like the Russian side of Blind Mans bluff.Should be pretty good. I have found an advanced copy, in paperback ,that is issued to book reviewers. It is unedited.
        I should have it end of next week.

Comment

• jim kerswell
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

I picked up a hardcover

[color=#000000]I picked up a hardcover copy of "Rising Tide" at a Borders bookstore last Thursday. I haven't read it yet, but it appears to be well written by a couple of reputable authors. It is illustrated with personal photographs from several of the Russians interviewed for the book. The photos are interesting, but probably not that useful from a modeling standpoint. It lacks the line drawings that I expect to find in that "other book".

Regarding that "other book"]

Comment

• wayne frey
            • Aug 2003

I just finished reading "Rising

I just finished reading "Rising Tide".
            I will have to say if one is interested in the history of the soviet submarines,this on is an essential read.
            There were details and named names of who did what,and the problems in the early years and,the Kursk.
            Not much on the alfa,akula,or typhoons.But the stories are good.
            During the cuban missle crisis,there were submarines involved that carried nuclear torpedos that did NOT require approval higher than the submarine commander.Even though there were 3 keys,the consensus would have been to launch without questioning the commander.That really surprized me.
            Also,the story of the Komsomolts was intense.Something right out of a movie.Unfortunatlly,it was true.I had no idea it was so intense of a tragedy.
            If you are into russian boats,this one belongs on your shelf
            Wayne

Comment

I have just finished this

I have just finished this book myself. It gives really good details about the first half of the cold war, and diesel subs like the foxtrot class. After a short story about the alfa class though, the author doesn't comment much about more advanced sub classes, except for the kursk chapter.

I especially liked the chapter about the Victor class subs using warmer waters to escape easy sonar detection by US forces, and thereby measuring their tactics and reaction to the subs presence.

just my amature opinion about a professionally writen book

Comment

Working...
              X