X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tabledancer
    • Feb 2005

I was just informed today

I was just informed today that the book Anatomy of a U-Boat Type XXI was out of print by the Naval Print group.Does anybody else have any ideas.

TD

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Re: Type XXI & XXIII book qwery

TD,

...don't know if you were ever able to find a copy of [i]Anatomy of the Ship]....I happened to come across the following at amazon.com:

-hopefully this will help,

Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tabledancer
        • Feb 2005

Yes I did finally get it,and on the site that you just posted.I got it about 3 weeks ago and yes it was expensive.I had to part with more than $100.00 including tax and shipping.I don`t normally spend this much for a book but like they say"I wanted it"!

I like the book but I got more information from the much cheaper Scheffler softback book that I got through the local Barnes and Noble.I did find something that nobody seems to have noticed before on the aft of the boat that I spoke to Matt about and it might be added to my boat,but I won`t know till delivery is made.

TD

Comment

• JWLaRue
          • Aug 1994

Hmmm...maybe I need to pay my local bookstores a visit and buy any copies of that book that may still be on the shelves for forwarding to folks!

re: something on the aft of the boat....

You've got my interest.....what did you find/see?

-tnx,

Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tabledancer
            • Feb 2005

What I found was only on 2 of the drawings.It was to be attached to the outer casing about 3 or so feet forward of the props and rear dive planes.It was the planned location for improved sonar equipment{Sp system}.It is only shown on 2 drawings in my book and I don`t know if any of the boats had it installed as nothing is mentioned in the text and I`ve never seen it in any pictures.If anybody has the book and is interested it`s on page 86 Drawing #C1/1.My book is the the edition first printed in English in 1991 by Conway Maritime Press LTD.If anybody out there has any other info or pictures would you please let me know.

I found something else not included.On the Revell model of U-2540 it represents 2 long cylinders mounted to the outer hull roughly positioned in the forward half of the of the motor room.Does anybody know what this is supposed to represent as I`ve never seen this on any pictures or drawings,or is this a figment of somebodys imagination.

TD

Comment

• JWLaRue
              • Aug 1994

TD,

I did a quick check through some of my collection of photos...but I didn't see that aft sonar 'dome' in any of the photos......

Those two long cylinders you referenced - if they're where I think they are they would be the main engine exhaust. This according to the Köhl drawings.

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tabledancer
                • Feb 2005

Thats very interesting.I didn`t notice anything regarding the cylinders in my drawings.I will check again,but if that is the case they would be very large because on the Revell model they are about 1 inch long and that is in 1/144 scale.Back to the sonar dome I think that it was something that might have been added to the next version of the boat because in the drawings that I have it specifies "planned for"and is only referenced in 2 drawings.But it will still make me crazy.

TD

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  • Aug 1994

TD,

....yes.....that's what I take 'planned' to mean. You asked if there was any evidence if it had ever been installed on a boat. I took a look for you and noted that I hadn't found any. Given how late in the war this variant of U-boat was designed and built (and not really ever operational) I won't find it surprising if there never were any boats built with it.

The drawings I looked through actually show 2 or 3 variants of those vents. One of which is more of a triangle shape. It sounds like the Revell kit has them oversized. (no surprise) But of course this atill assumes we're talking about the same thing, eh?

-Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
                  X