From the War Fish Blog][/url]
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><
  • jefftytoo
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2003

Wow, Paul, what a review!

Wow, Paul, what a review! I certainly concur about Kershaw's writing style, having read his "The Few" about American pilots flying Spits for the Brits during the Battle of Britain and thereafter. Two or three times last year I e-contacted his assistant, trying to provide a phone number for Joyce deSilva, widow of one of the nine Tang escapees (who happens to live close by), since I knew he was working on this project and thought he might wish to interview her in his research. But he never got back to me or to her.

Regardless, this book sure sounds like a must-read. Thanks for the head's up on the release date!

JeffP

Comment

• PaulC
      Administrator
      • Feb 2003

Jeff,

Charles at the Bowfin Museum

Jeff,

Charles at the Bowfin Museum hooked me up with the publisher's marketing guy. He sent me the review copy. It was a real treat.

When I sent the link to the publisher for my review I asked about any pending movie deals. He said they are in negotiations.
      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
      <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2003

Hmm. I'm thinking about a

Hmm. I'm thinking about a certain prequel by this guy I know. . .

Jeff

Comment

• blesht
          • Dec 2005

After reading Paul's excellent review,

After reading Paul's excellent review, I bought a copy of "Escape from the Deep" at the Denver airport on Sunday to read on the flight back to Chicago. It may say something that I finished the book just as we touched down at MDW (I'm not a speed reader and the flight was only delayed 30 minutes). I'm afraid that I'm not as enthusiastic about the book as is Paul. I found it a little shallow and wished that Kershaw (whose book "The Longest Winter" I thoroughly enjoyed) had delved into more subtle aspects of the story such as the escape training that seems to have failed many of the Tang's crew. As folks interested in submarines I'd still recommend the book to anyone likely to read these comments, but I would caution that you're likely to want to know more than Kershaw provides here.

Barry

Comment

• big jim
            • Feb 2006

I pretty much have to

I pretty much have to agree with Barry. I was much looking forward to sitting down and getting involved with this book. It took me less than a day to read the entire book and other than the personal experiances from crew members, I felt it lacked something. I didn't feel the book draw me into the story for some reason.

Kershaw gives reference to the Puffer depth charging. In contrast, Theodore Roscoe's prose on this subject was absolutely captivating! That is one of the most riveting tales I've ever read and a must read for students of the human pysche!

Newcomers to submarine history may have a different opinion, but for me, after reading some of the best, anything less seems like a let down.

Maybe I should have waited for a paperback edition.

Comment

Working...
            X