• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmsmalley
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

New RC sub book? "Simply Model Submarines" - new release

TRAPLET USA -
    Just received an email from Traplet today that there is a new version of Simply Submarines (now called Simply MODEL Submarines) by Chris Jackson coming out sometime this month. I don't know if it is a minor rehash or a brand new book. I just ordered a copy - I'll do a review when it arrives.

Here is what the ad says -
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    EXTEND YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF THIS FASCINATING FORM OF MARINE MODELLING WITH THIS ESSENTIAL BOOK BY CHRIS JACKSON

Due Early November - Pre-Order Today!

FEATURES INCLUDE: • Details of the active use of submarines in warfare • Illustrations throughout with photographs and diagrams • Hints and tips • Chapters on the history of submarines, diving systems and frequently asked questions

TRAPLET WEBSITE where you can preorder the book -
  • mylo
    • Aug 2005

A review would be greatly

A review would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mylo.

Comment

• stinger
      • Nov 2006

In Stock

Just went to their web site and it mentions this book is In Stock and ready to ship...

So, of course, I ordered it....

Ian

Comment

• tmsmalley
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

I got the book the

I got the book the other day. Pretty similar to the earlier version of Simply Submarines but with the addition of three chapters. One on electric torpedoes, a build up of the Robbe Type XXI and an article on the Sheerline Type II kit.

The book is a compendium of articles that have appeared in Marine Modeling International magazine (based in the UK) over the last few years.

It starts with a brief history of submarines, a section on "How they work" and commonly asked questions by Steve Juden. This area discusses the various diving/ballasting systems commonly used by RC submarine builders.

Then the complete set of articles penned by David Merriman Jr. about his H.L. Hunley project starting with how he set up and modified one of his WTC 3.5s, designing and building the propeller and goes right through painting and detailing (weathering) the model.

Next came the requisite kit review and article on the building of a Robbe U-47 that has several nice photos of the Robbe's WTC layout.

Next - A nice piece on a scratch built German XXI U-boat with lots of details on building the hull and operating systems.

The HMS Satyr comes next. Good info on a hybrid compressor ballast system with a Propel failsafe backup.

The a piece on the HMS Ocelot with a good drawing of how the bow plane retract and rotation system is designed and operates.

Then Dave Merriman is back with the article on his USS Skipjack including details on molding the hull, resin and white metal casting and setting up one of his WTC3s setting up the transmitter controls painting and marking and a list of suppliers (some of which are now out of business).

Next a a story on the HMS Trenchant and the kit as built by Sheerline (formerly Eden).

Electric Torpedo Design - beautiful electric torpedoes that look like they were crafted by a watchmaker.

Building the Robbe Type XXI kit

Building the Sheerline Type IID kit.

From quickly scanning the stories and looking at the photos and diagrams, this will be the book I will tell beginners who ask me what book to get to get to ease their way into the hobby. Don't let the titles of the stories turn you off - just because they may be boats your aren't particularly interested in. The building, ballasting and
        detailing info is applicable to most any sub you want to take a crack at.

The book isn't perfect - there could be more info on hull building - lost foam method, safety etc but I think it may be the best thing available for practical RC sub construction other than a lifetime subscription to the SubCommittee Report.

Comment

Working...
        X