X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesubdude
    • May 2024

Simply Submarines

Does anyone have a copy of Chris Jackson's Simply Submarines book or know where I can find one?

Thanks, Erik
  • slugejudge
    • Dec 2005

Erik,

I recently purchased "Submarine Technology"

Erik,

I recently purchased "Submarine Technology" by Norbert Bruggen from www.runforcoverbooks.com give them a try.

Rick

Comment

• himszy
      • Nov 2004

You can order it direct

You can order it direct from Traplet]https://sslrelay.com/s119033....SIMP=29[/url]

Michael

Edited By Himszy on 1158482886

Comment

• bob the builder
        Former SC President
        • Feb 2003

I've got both books. They

I've got both books. They were a gift a few years ago that were ordered directly from Traplet.
        The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
          • Jun 2006

Thi book has now been

Thi book has now been discontinued by Traplet but some vendors still seem to have it in stock.

From the Traplet site ...."This book is now discontinued, however much of its content is available another publication called Submarines Models and their Originals. " ... erm no, they are completely different!

Edited By Wheelerdealer on 1158622875

Comment

Apparently Simply Submarines is available

Apparently Simply Submarines is available from some book houses in the U.K. The price comes to US$25 with shipping. If Submarines, Models and Their Originals is not comparable to Simply Submarines, is the book Model Submarine Technology any sort of replacement?

Thanks,
            Todd

Comment

Hi All,

I have all 3

Hi All,

I have all 3 and they ARE all different.

Model Submarine Technology can be likened to our bible/textbook. It is hard going but worth it.

Simply Submarines and Submarine Models are more practical descriptions of individual approaches to our hobbies. The first one with a British approach, the second German.

If I was only allowed one on a Desert Island it would be Model Submarine Technology

David

Comment

• thesubdude

Thanks for all the answers.

Thanks for all the answers.

Erik

Comment

• david h
                  • Feb 2003

Simply submarines,

Unfortunately this book mainly

Simply submarines,

Unfortunately this book mainly focusses on the cosmetic "how to weather a periscope" and "how to make nice looking dive planes". It does'nt really deal with alot of the nitty gritty, like how to build a watertight compartment. Dave Merrimans section on the Skipjack comes close and that's about it.

Norbert Bruggens book "Model submarine Technology" is a bit mathematical for my liking but he does have good engineering details and info on practical stuff that beginners always find problems getting info on.

It would be great to see a book that just has all the engineering that you need to understand for a model sub. All the ballast tank options and not really any of the cosmetic modelling info that you can convert from any modelling mag.

Comment

• subtech
                    • Oct 2004

For all those looking for

For all those looking for the book 'Simply Subs' by Chris Jackson, published by Traplet Publications, I can confirm that the original issue of 'Simply Subs' is now out or print and that a revised and expanded second edition called 'Simply Model Submarines' is due out 'soon'.

I will let you know when it is actually available once I hear back from Traplet / Chris Jackson.

Dave - SubTech

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
                      • Jun 2006

The revised version is out

The revised version is out now. Aparently the content is the same as the original with the addition of 3 new chapters - Electric powered torpedoes, Robbe XXI, and Sheerline Type IID submarines.

Comment

Working...
                      X