Of Ice and Steel - The best fiction sub novel ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

Of Ice and Steel - The best fiction sub novel ever!

Don Meadows some of you know here. Also he's the one that helped Wayne get his book published.

I met Don as a result of doing the cover for this book while he was still writing the book. I also did a trailer for the book all CGI. http://www.sneill.com/oficeandsteel/ofIceAndSteel.wmv

Big file so you better have cable.

Also here's the web site for the book with everything you'll need to know about the book and how to order it. Same publisher as Wayne's Russian sub book. http://www.oficeandsteel.com

I'll make it short and to the point. This book could sell better if more people took an interest. Reference books seem to sell better with you guys. I buy many myself. But when Don finally sent me the book to read it could not put it down.

Forget Red October and the rest. The book blows Tom Clancy out of the water. Every page was like a delicious meal. Most importantly it gave me hope and raised my spirit about being a human being. This has to be one of the best sub stories of all time. And because Don served for 18 years on subs the realism and authenticity is overwhelming. Right to the last page it will make you shout for joy.

I also share the movie rights with Don and a good producer friend of mine. The three of us are working hard to get this made into a movie. We are long over due for a good sub film again. Don't worry I'm not green after working in film for over 30 years I have the connections. But do read this book. And you'll do yourself a favor.

It's also available from Barnes and Noble and Amazon. The web site I placed the link to has all the correct links.

SteveOf Ice and Steel web site

Edited By U812 on 1155161241
  • stark
    • Jul 2006

Hey mine is in the

Hey mine is in the mail , after I saw the trailer, and heard some of the story, I new it was gona be good Steve ! BS

Comment

Thanks Brian. At least one

Thanks Brian. At least one person here took an interest in Don's book. I'm surprised that such a site as SC didn't take more of an interest although the book is fiction and not a reference book.

Never the less it reads like a real story not fiction. The details on the Type 9 (the hero of the story) and the other boats in the book are incredible.

It's the same way on my forum subpirates. Not much interest. WE are becoming a society that doesn't read much anymore. Especially Sci Fi and fiction. That's a real shame because the human imagination can blow away any video game, TV show, or movie(especially these days).

It's a story like this you read and it inspires you so to build more models and learn more about submarines.

And remember. Imagination is more important than knowledge. If Jules Vern didn't imagine three men taking off from florida to the moon I doubt that we would have. Nor would we had the Nautilus. and the list goes on. And on. And on. Scientist don't create the future. Artists do. Like it or not.

Steve

Comment

So that's it? One person.

So that's it? One person. Sad. Very sad.

Steve

Comment

• tmsmalley
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

I hadn't had time to

I hadn't had time to watch your trailer Steve due to the predicted long download (actually it only took 13-14 minutes on cable). After seeing it I WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Yes - and I ordered the book on Amazon.

Comment

Tim,

Thanks so much buddy! I

Tim,

Thanks so much buddy! I think you'll like it. And yes. I want ot see it too.

I'm on it Tim.

Steve

Comment

Well Don's book is selling

Well Don's book is selling well. Very soon now it will be a best seller. So if you guys want to get a copy that is autographed by Don you better move quick before this whole thing gets so big it's too late to get to him.

He's on the second book now as this is a series of four where the stories and characters all lock together.

On the movie front Tim we got some good news today that should speed up this production getting it's money. I won't go into details here. But will report later on as we progress.

Another thing you should know about the story I forgot to mention. One of the main characters, the one who saves the day, is an RC model sub builder with a special knowledge about the type 9.

I will sign the book too if you send it to me as I will do the covers for all three books to follow.

Here's the first 2.

Enjoy.

Steve

Edited By U812 on 1155698373

Comment

Well I'm simply amazed this

Well I'm simply amazed this book didn't get more attention from SC and to be fair, my own site, Subpirates.

But luckily you guys aren't the all of the Navy public. The book is doing very well.

Hollywood thinks so too as some very interesting developments have occurred to get the movie going. And Don and I will be at the helm.

Again I'd like to share this great experience of a story with you who love the submarine and it's crews as much as I do. You are simply missing out. Big time.

And Tom while you wait for Wayne's great book to show up, why not read Of Ice and Steel?

Don Meadows served 18 years on our favorite boats and tells it like it is in a fictional account.

I'll tell you more about the movie soon. This is not a maybe but a certainty that this book will be made into a movie. I've been in the film biz for over 30 years now and seen it all. This will become another classic submarine movie. One of the very best.

Steve

Comment

• tom dougherty
                  • Jul 2005

And Tom while you wait

[color=#000000]
                  And Tom while you wait for Wayne's great book to show up, why not read Of Ice and Steel?
                  Umm, because its got a 4-6 week wait listed on Amazon.com?
                  Umm, because I live near Groton ("The Submarine capital of the World", or so the sign says), and its not in the bookstores here, either?
                  Maybe the reason the sales are not what you expect is that even people who want to read it are having trouble getting a copy? I think very highly of Don (Geez, the French lesson alone was worth the price of the last SCR!!) I'm looking forward to reading it...when I can get a copy!!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------
                  Separate Item]Scientist don't create the future. Artists do. Like it or not.
                  [/quote]

Wow! What a deep saying...
                  Anyhow, after busting my rear for 9 years to get a BS and PhD, doing 3 years of postdoc, working for 25 years and publishing over 50 research papers, a book, and working on the development of three drugs, I now find out that I (and I presume other scientists and engineers) really don't create advances. I could give you a whole lot of future we created in my field, from antibiotics to cholesterol lowering agents to novel gene technologies. Other medical advances such as vaccinations, advanced surgical techniques, dialysis & bypass machines. All of these (dare I say it?) "creations" have had an enormous impact on "the future". Worried about polio lately? Didn't think so...

The subjects of this board, submarines, are the product of painstaking research & engineering. Rickover did not stand there with Verne's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea as a guide to building a nuclear sub fleet. He had the best technical people like Rockwell, Panoff, and Radkowsky. They had to create a reactor design and the materials such as hafnium & zirconium to be able to operate. It's hard. technical work. The people who man them likewise have to master a tremendous amount of technical information to make the very complex machines operate correctly.

Scientist don't create the future. Artists do. Like it or not.
                  What a stunning insight!! And to think, you wrote those very words and posted them using]

Comment

Without the vision of the

Without the vision of the futurists or artists where do the ideas come from? Verne wrote about three astronauts leaving from Florida to the moon. We did that. And the inspiration came from his book to name one. And the list goes on and on.

And I think one of the greatest scientists in the world said it best. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Yes. True. You can list and drop all the names you want. I know many of them too because science has always been in my blood.

Maybe I'm crossing the fields here. Maybe both is one in the same and I've made an error in judgment with my statement and should have really said imagination creates the future.

Ya I know all about you line of reasoning. Grew up surrounded by it. My whole family was a bunch of scientist. One of them worked on the bomb. So your not telling me anything I don't already know. I've see it all from 1952 to today. But I still know this.

Although most scientist are not without vision most of the things that have come to past were the result of science fiction or the vision there in of.

I wonder if we would have half the hardware we have today if it weren't for my favorite former employer, Gene Rodenberry.

It takes both to tango don't you think? Or can a world survive without the artist? Or the scientist? I don't think so.

Personally I wish the world was full of us and less of them. You know what I mean.

Tom I may be rancid butter but I'm on your side of the bread. I'm not a knuckle dragger or a troglodyte

Steve

Oh and about the PC. I first worked on a teletype main frame connected to Berkeley in 1970. The first PC I had was an Apple kit. I was online in 83 on Vic 20. and i bet you thought you were talking to some kid. LOL!

Edited By U812 on 1156928199

Comment

Oh and Tom. I just

Oh and Tom. I just checked Amazon. Looks like they have the books. I didn't see anything that said they would be delayed or am I missing something?

There should be plenty of books but they are selling fast. I was really pleased with the book. Don is quite the writer. and you can contact him too he has books and can sign a copy for you.

Hope that helps oh most wonderful scientist. And I do mean that Tom. I'm not just ranking your cord.

Steve

P.S. Your as hot headed as I am. I like that.

Here's the link to Amazon]http://www.amazon.com/gp....=283155[/url]

Edited By U812 on 1156909574

Comment

• tmsmalley
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Feb 2003

I purchased mine through Amazon

I purchased mine through Amazon August 12 and they gave me a long wait time as well. Right now they are telling me a Sept 14 - 30 ship date. I ran into the same problem with ordering Wayne's book through Amazondotcom.

Normally I would cancel and re-order through the publisher but I want to see how long it really takes to get it from Amazon.

BTW - Has anyone who has the book and read it written a book review for Tom's sub books column the SCR? That would get the word out to a lot of guys who never go to the websites.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                          • Jul 2005

a book review for Tom's

a book review for Tom's sub books column the SCR
                          Actually, it's Jeff's P.'s column. I (and others) just crank out reviews.

Steve-sorry but you pushed the wrong button. Actually as those who know me can attest, I rarely go on a rant.

Hey, push the link you provided to Don's book and look at availability. It says]Availability: Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. [/quote]

Also, it looks as if a couple of books (Don's & Wayne's) are experiencing the same problem. Nothing can kill book sales faster. As with Tim's case, often if I'm given huge backorder times by Amazon I, too, cancel. And then forget to reorder. Or, Amazon will "autocancel" the order after a set period of time has gone by without the book coming back in stock. I've already received official "delayed" email from them on Wayne's book.

Edited By Tom Dougherty on 1156941667

Comment

• tmsmalley
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2003

Of course it's Jeff P's

Of course it's Jeff P's column. Sorry Tom and Jeff P. I made that reply when my was brain was under the influence of being woken up early by Brutus the shop cat and no coffee

Mr. Porteus also did up that cool masthead graphic that goes with it!

Comment

Tom. No problem really.

On the

Tom. No problem really.

On the book I'll tell Don today what's going on because as you have pointed out this is not a good thing. I just heard from Wayne last night but only bt email. Hopefully he'll check in again soon.

Thanks a bunch Tim and Tom.

steve

Comment

Working...
                              X