X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkeatingss
    • Nov 2003

Red Star Rogue - A Movie???

[color=#000000]I just got this from the Sub Vets and thought it might be of interest here.
    Mike K.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Columbus Sub Vets Announcement

Great News from Ken Sewell, our submarine author of RED STAR ROGUE, "I would like to announce that we have signed an agreement with Warner Brothers for the purchase of the film option for Red Star Rogue.

Normally a producer or group of investors will purchase the film rights. They in turn, attempt to sell the project to a studio. In our case, the studio has purchased the film rights on the recommendation of two of its oldest and most respected producer/writers. This greatly increases the chance that Red Star Rogue will make it to the silver screen. The normal process takes about three to four years."

Ken continues, "I want to extend my thanks to the USSVI, their support has made Red Star Rogue a success."

In earlier developments, Ken announced to the members and guest attending our January Columbus Sub Vets meeting that contracts had been signed for his next book which promises to be another tale of intrigue even more revealing than his current book which has been so successful.

In conjunction with Ken Sewell's announcement, the Columbus Base had for the first time, an Audio Books edition of RED STAR ROGUE available for purchase. The cost is $26.00, which includes tax and shipping.

The RED STAR ROGUE Audio Book can be used as a wonderful DONATION to local VA Hospitals or other senior citizen centers. Anyplace where people with poor, or no eyesight can enjoy them. Others like the business man that just doesn't have time to sit and read and people on lengthy commutes to their jobs would really appreciate the convenience of having a copy.

Columbus Base continues to sell autographed copies of the hardback book for $22.00, tax and shipping included. A portion of all Red Star Rogue sales (books and audio-books) will be, and already has been, donated to USSVI charities.

To order by credit card visit the Columbus Base website, www.Columbus.com Order information is on the home page.

Otherwise, you can send checks or money orders made payable to Columbus Base of USSVI. Mail your order to]
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

If done right, this would

If done right, this would make a very exciting story, particularly with the advances in CGI. One can envision highly convincing computer work on the sinking, the wreckage inspection by USS Halibut, and the Glomar Explorer raising the wreck. But the key operative words are "If done right". I hope that it doesn't become a "star" vehicle, in which one central character (played by a big Hollywood name) has to be "invented" who is present in most parts of the story, to fulfill some actor's contractual agreement. The book didn't focus at all on any one individual, but rather was tied together by the K-129 itself.

Comment

• gerwalk
      • Dec 2004

I hope that it doesn't

I hope that it doesn't become a "star" vehicle, in which one central character (played by a big Hollywood name) has to be "invented" who is present in most parts of the story, to fulfill some actor's contractual agreement. The book didn't focus at all on any one individual, but rather was tied together by the K-129 itself.
      I agree with "if done right" ]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

• wayne frey
        • Aug 2003

Steve Sneill should be in

Steve Sneill should be in on that job. A CGI man already with Hollywood experiance, and a LOT of model submarine work. Shoot, Tom as a consultant, or myself, Sergey for Russian technical, and that plot.
        Wow! I will see that one opening day and own the DVD.
        The book really makes you think for a long time..

Comment

Don't hold your breath boys.

Don't hold your breath boys. This 30 year vet of Hollywood will tell you the studios are not what they use to be. Not by a long shot.

They will change his book to soot their needs with no regard to the authors wishes. How many times have they got it wrong already?

This is why Don Meadow's book "Of Ice and Steel" (see the web site and trailer I made at]www.oficeandsteel.com[/url]) is in my hands to get made as a film using German and European money to make it. Hollywood is the laughing stock of the cinematic community. Need I mention Broke Back mountain? Oh boy. Or King Kong? Oh boy again.

They would no more hire me than the man on the moon. The CGI will be all shipped out or outsourced creating more lost American jobs.

Dark enough for you? Am I bitter? Yes! You bet. So few movies are made with American film workers now that most are starving slowly to death. Like me! All my friends have left town and sold their homes and I'm right behind them. I wish the author luck. Hopefully he will be paid well. But he'll probably pull his hair out when he sees what the hacks do to his book. Money isn't everything. Integrity is.

Steve

P.S. And I will be hiring should the film get made an all American crew. Period. But the CGI will be done in Germany since most of the CGI done in the states just sucks.

Further more CGI is not the answer for everything. Big models always work better, sell better when properly photographed but the pin head young producers of Hollywood would not agree.

In fact in most of the truely great sub films CGI was not used but rather large models and full sized mockups enhanced by CGI. Bubbles, ripples and explosions. The best way still is to get it in the camera!

Edited By U812 on 1140042579

Comment

• tom dougherty
            • Jul 2005

Thanks, Steve. That was my

Thanks, Steve. That was my point in my original post; the movies are always heavily mutated versions of the original works (nothing new; read "Run Silent, Run Deep" and then go look at the pale shadow of the movie version). The stories are always simplified, diluted & changed to suit the needs of the producers, directors, and (most importantly) accountants.

Good point on the models, too. I can still pick out CGI by eye in a theatre vs. a well made model.

Comment

Tom you bet. And you

Tom you bet. And you know your stuff.

This is why with Don's book I'm fighting hard not let it get away from him or me. I think when the book is released you'll all agree this is one of the best fiction sub novels ever written. As it is, its written perfectly to translate to a script. It's all there.

Now 54 and a hardened vet of the industry I will fight hard and know every single curve those pin heads will try to throw at me.

We all want good entertainment. Not this crap they try to feed us and expect us to like it. They think we are a bunch of dummies and will fall for anything. They don't know us very well do they? LOL!!

Enough said. I've hijacked this thread enough.

Steve

Comment

• mark
                • Apr 2006

Hope it does get made

Hope it does get made into a movie and it is done right,
                But look what happen to Clive Cussler and Sahara they said he had script control and look how the movie turned out

Comment

Working...
                X