X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boatbuilder1
    • Mar 2003

shadow divers - deep sea detectives

I just picked up this book shadow divers about John chatertton and Richie Kohler the guys that are the host and divers of deep sea detectives
    they find a uboat off the new jersey shor in 230 feet of water
  • mkeatingss
    • Nov 2003

It's a great book. You're

It's a great book. You're really going to enjoy it.
    Mike

Comment

• robert
      • May 2005

I have not read this

I have not read this book, but I did see part of a TV special on a group of several men who found an unidentified U-boat off the east coast, dived on it, and eventually ID'd it with the help of a guy in Germany who's a font of knowledge about U boats and their crews.

The documentary left me with the impression that the people it was about had gotten in well over their heads and gotten quite reckless. I believe 2-3 of them died during the investigation of the wreck.

Comment

• boatbuilder1
        • Mar 2003

the documentary was the pilot

the documentary was the pilot for the series deep sea dectives I agree they were recless but IMHO wreck divers are NUTS
        the pair who died were father and son quite sad if you ask me but they know what they are getting into

chuck

Comment

• robert
          • May 2005

My experience with salvage divers

My experience with salvage divers is limited to watching old episodes of Jacques Cousteau . However the guys who dived on the U boat struck me as inexperienced, not just crazy hardened salvage divers. If I recall correctly they were operating at the hard limits (probably beyond the limits) of the air mixture they were using, so they were having problems with narcosis and focus and cold. One of them was lost when they swam down, kicked up a bunch of sediment, and lost track of their extra air tanks they left sitting on the sea floor, so they had to head back up w/out decompressing and one got the bends and died.

One of the other guys swam into the wreck and got stuck for a while before finally getting out. I don't think he had a backup diver at hand before going in alone.

The other death, *if* I remember correctly and I may be confusing this with some other salvage documentary, had a guy just up and disappear into the underwater current while a couple of them were diving on the wreck. His body maybe showed up weeks later, I can't recall.

Losing two people in a small expedition seems like more than just bad luck, statistically speaking. When I saw the documentary I remember being amazed that the guys were represented as heros and the expedition represented as a success, when all I saw where a group of people without the proper equipment who got in over their heads and died due to lack of proper planning.

Comment

• blitz52
            • Aug 2004

For thoses that liked the

For thoses that liked the book....Hollywood is planning to make the movie...Ridley Scott from gladiator and Kingdom of heaven fame will direct!..

should be cool...

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X