The Type VII U-Boat (Anatomy of the Ship) - Anyone own this book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gugie
    • Jun 2005

The Type VII U-Boat (Anatomy of the Ship) - Anyone own this book?

Does anyone own this book?
    The Type VII U-Boat (Anatomy of the Ship)
    Thinking of purchasing and would like to hear from anyone who has one.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Tom,

Several of us do.....!

The value

[color=#000000]Tom,

Several of us do.....!

The value of this book depends on what you'd like to get out of it. There are some photos in the beginning of the book, but the majority of it contains a series of line drawings of various parts of the Type VII.

This is a good book, but if I were to rank the value of book on the Type VII, I would put the "Vom Original Zum Modell]
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

hi jeff, not to change

hi jeff, not to change the subject but do you know where and how i can order a copy of the "Vom Original Zum Modell type XXIII" book ?
      thanks, ed

Comment

• gugie
        • Jun 2005

Ed,
        Good question! I also was

Ed,
        Good question! I also was searching for this book as per Jeff's recommendation and have not had any luck finding one.
        Tom

Comment

• Antoine
          • Feb 2003

www.amazon.de and dont forget your

www.amazon.de and dont forget your english/german translator....

The best VIIC book I have seen so far, beside the VOZM, is "type VII u-boats" by Robert C. Stern
          http://forum-rc-warships.xooit.eu/index.php

Comment

• JWLaRue
            • Aug 1994

Soory about not providing the

Soory about not providing the link! Here's one that should take you directly to the book on the Amazon.de site -
            [url=http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3763760024/qid=1118609561/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_24_1/028-6533214-9042158]Vom Original Zum Modell].

It's available for immediate shipment.

I agree with Antoine's 2nd book request, but please make sure that you get Stern's book titled The Type VIIC U-boat and not the Squadron Publication titled U-boats in Action.

On an even par with Stern's book would also be David Miller's book titled [i]U-boats]. Here's the link to Amazon.com - Miller's U-boat book.

Miller's book is in some ways better than Stern's book, but both are definitley books to acquire if you are looking for some very good explanantions of how the various parts of a U-boat works, strategy, tactics, and history of the German Ubootwaffe.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• gerwalk
              • Dec 2004

One think about the Anatomy

[color=#000000]One think about the Anatomy of the ship book is that it shows the Type VIIB having two air intakes ducts in the sail (one at each side). I know that this was discussed before but]

Comment

• JWLaRue
                • Aug 1994

...depends on which Type VIIB

...depends on which Type VIIB you might be talking about.....

When the Kriegsmarine began to run their Type VII and VIIB boats out into the North Atlantic, it was quickly discovered that the as-built location for the diesel air intakes (located beneath the aft conning tower deck), was not high enough. Too much water would get ingested.

A number of air intake 'designs' were tried on most of the VIIBs to determine what would work best. The end result was the two stack design seen in the Type VIIC series....though where the actual intakes were varied between the upper, rear sides of the tower and the top of the stack itself.

So, if you are building a specific numbered hull, you need to figure out how it's air intakes were arranged.

-Jeff

p.s. If memory serves, I do not remember seeing many photos where we could absolutely determine that the VIIB in question had two external stacks...but yes, it did happen.
                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• gerwalk
                  • Dec 2004

p.s. If memory serves, I

p.s. If memory serves, I do not remember seeing many photos where we could absolutely determine that the VIIB in question had two external stacks...but yes, it did happen.
                  That's the problem indeed! My favorites type VIIB are U-48, U-47 and U-99, I don't have pics of them from both sides...
                  Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X