• Show
Clear All
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

Has anyone previewed or bought this title? - U-Boats from '39 to '45

Author - W. Trojca
    Title - Ubootwaffe, Marine-Kleinkampfverbunde 1939-1945

Hrdbnd. 614 pgs, 800 b&w photos, 4 A1 Fold-out maps w/ all locations of sunk Uboots and allied warships. 100 color profiles, 20 types of U-boots and 3D drawings. English text only.

this caught my eye...It's expensive ($114) but is it worth it?
    thanks,
    Sam
  • u-kater
    • Mar 2003

Dear Sam,

I bought the book

Dear Sam,

I bought the book at Airconnection in Cannada but it will have a six week journey to arrive.
    I'm curious also ,but of what I've seen from Trojca it will be worth every penny.
    As soon as it arrives I'll try to give a critical comment on the contence and put it up on the forum.
    Have some patience and decide than.

kind regards
    U-Kater

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

I received my copy of

I received my copy of this yesterday (from greatmodels.com- funny, somehow a Tamiya F16 was in the box with it...)

At first glance, this appears to be a great reference book.

There are a bunch of new photos, not the same old rehashed stuff seen in many of the references that are out there. The included maps are awesome- there's even a separate map for "Operation Deadlight" showing where all the Uboats were scuttled after WWII. Illustrations are very nice- color pates (artwork, not photos) showing boats wtih camo, some of the crests, etc. (lots of type VIIs, but also Type IX, X, etc.)
      Lots of stuff on midget subs as well. I have barely scratched the surface on this book, and I'm really impressed by how much is shown. It's pricey, but so far I think it's a really good book.

Comment

• don prince
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

Hi Sam,

Does the book have

Hi Sam,

Does the book have any technical information such as Switchboard design, E-Motor and battery room connection? Are there any wiring diagrams for the Type VIIc?

How about U-boat tactics... when did they run on one diesel, or both? When were the E-motors ran single or dual, and when did they run Diesels and E-motors in tandum?

Regards,
        Don_
        A man's gotta know his limitations...
        Harry Callahan, SFPD

Comment

• sam reichart
          Past President
          • Feb 2003

Don-
          no wiring diagrams yet....I haven't

Don-
          no wiring diagrams yet....I haven't gotten far enough into it to know if there's tactics or ops procedures.

Comment

• u-kater
            • Mar 2003

Hi guys,

The book arrived, at

Hi guys,

The book arrived, at last! It took six weeks but I think it was worth waiting for. As far as I can see it is very complete on every aspect of WWII German U-boats. From the early beginning to the bitter end. Even the midget types are well taken care off. Prototypes I never heard of are also reviewed, complete with colourfull drawings. Photo's shown are of good quality and certenly not the ones you she time and again. Trojca did a #### of a job in writing this book. Ofcource there are errata's, but its a first print and some are obvious. There are some very good line drawings in 1]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X