• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Gunther Prien and U-47: The Bull of Scapa Flow by Dougie Martindale

I just noticed Dougie Martindale published a book in November on U-47. His articles in the SCR have always been great. Has anyone read it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	51jGbE8yGGL._AC_UL436_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	137560
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

I have a copy of the book that Dougie very kindly had the publisher send to me as a "review copy." I'll have a sub Books review for his book...but might not make it in time for the March issue.

Quick review of what I've read so far: very well written and Dougie has clearly done his homework (research) on the subjects - both Prien and the U-47 itself. I'll have a better, more complete, review later but if you're interest in WW2 U-boat history and the events surrounding the Scapa Flow attack, you will like this book.

-Jeff

p.s. I even got a mention in the acknowledgements section!
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• PaulC
      Administrator
      • Feb 2003

I figured as much for the naval Institute Press to publish it. I'll have to pick up a copy. When you're done, take a second and post an Amazon review. It doesn't have one yet and they help sales.
      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
      <><

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

That's a good idea....will do.

btw: for our non-U.S. files reading this, Dougie's book is published in the U.K./EU by Pen & Sword. I believe they're the ones that Dougie is working directly with.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• sam reichart
          Past President
          • Feb 2003

I want one. I’ll be looking for this on Amazon.

Comment

• don prince
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

Hello Jeff and All,

I have read through the book and as a historian/author Dougie Martindale has produced an excellent work chronicling U-47's sinking of the HMS Royal Oak Battleship anchored in Scapa Flow. All 10 War Patrols are covered and there is a discussion about the loss of U-47. He also delves into the character of Korvettenkapitän Günther Prien; his strengths and weakness and the metal of the man during the Battle of the Atlantic. The book was published by the Naval Institute Press and may be purchased from Pen and Sword in the UK as well (still a NIP publication). Besides we are all familiar with Dougie's work on many U-Boat documents that are available for free on the internet. I recommend that we buy the excellent book and support the author!

PS: don't forger to post a review of the book!

Regards,
            Don_
            Last edited by don prince; 01-29-2019, 08:26 AM.
            A man's gotta know his limitations...
            Harry Callahan, SFPD

Comment

Working...
            X