X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drschmidt
    • Jul 2014

Patrick Henry nuclear sub cut-away

A very old but highly detailed Revell kit. Rediscovered it on e-bay. Here's the result:

• gp100man
    • Jan 2012

Re: Patrick Henry nuclear sub cut-away

Sweet, well done. Shouldn't the exterior be a dull jet black though?

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
      • Oct 2012

I am not sure if the George Washington and the Patrick Henry had the same paint scheme.
      I would think so.

I was stations on the Washington during a recore overhaul.
      While in the dry dock the boat was repainted with the hull half black top and half red bottom.
      The black was shiny while in the dry dock.
      After we were floated out and tied to the pier for a while, the black faded rather quickly to a flat black kind of dark gray streaking.

Comment

• drschmidt
        • Jul 2014

I followed the paint scheme of the kit......

A bit of googling]http://www.warart.com/images/products/640_large_image.jpg[/img]

So my paint scheme is wrong.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
          • Oct 2012

You build is not wrong.
          You built the boat from available information when you built it.

The kit itself is not accurate. Having been on the GW, I know the interior layout is incorrect or more like incomplete. The instruction furnished are not correct but that is not the fault of the kit builder. The Navy at the time, released drawing for the submarines that were very basic and inaccurate on purpose. The boats were new and the Navy was keeping it's secrets.

Correct or wrong .... accurate or inaccurate ..... it doesn't matter.
          You built with the information you had at the time.
          I think your display model is awesome!

I like it!
          ---------------------
          You have to build more of these open models or share more photos of boats completed already.
          I do not have the patience to do this type of modeling.

Comment

• gp100man
            • Jan 2012

Dr. Schmidt, I agree with Ralph, I think your model is awesome, and I do like it. I have the same kit, but haven't started it yet.

If I remember right, Revell recently released a George Washington (SSBN-598) kit which is the same as the Patrick Henry, but just different box art.

http://belatednerd.com/revell-sells-sec ... -for-2-98/

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
              • Oct 2012

Thanks, I was not aware that they releases this boat as the GW. I may have to look around to see if I can get an in hands look.

I have a working R/C GW Steven Neill hull kit. 144 scale.
              On my work bench I have a Skipjack hull kit which is complete and I am now working on the R/C cylinder for it. 72 scale.

I have three other R/C projects. Two subs and one sailing schooner scow.

I have time to think about if I have the ability to do the inside detail.
              But this could be an on the kitchen table project for evenings and winter nights.

Bookmarked this thread as a reference for later. Maybe I should print it out and pin it on the wall with the other projects.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                • Jul 2005

If I remember right, Revell recently released a George Washington (SSBN-598) kit which is the same as the Patrick Henry, but just different box art.
                It's actually the Renwal mold from the 1960's. They were acquired from Renwal by Revell when Renwal folded. So there are two Revell kits; the one shown here and the Renwal version.
                Neither are particularly accurate in the interior, but the old Renwal is closer in external dimensions and form. But, they are fun to build and look at.
                Here are some photos of a completed Renwal kit (not the GW, but the Ethan Allen version) by Phil Toy.

Comment

• gp100man
                  • Jan 2012

CriticalPast is an archive of historic footage. The vintage footage in this video has been uploaded for research purposes, and is presented in unedited form....

Comment

Working...
                  X