X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gp100man
    • Jan 2012

A little push, a little shove

I just recently sent an email to the RESIGN SHIPYARD at sales@resinshipyard.com and encouraged them(a little push/shove) keep working on their 1/350 scale Canadian VICTORIA class submarine, as I am most anxious to get the model kit. I was hoping that you could also contact them, and do the same. Do any of you have any experiences with the resin shipyard, are they a good outfit? Also, I think it's great that Canada finally got themselves a working submarine(and three more on the way this year). This ex-british Upholder class had been plauqed with problems, but Canada finally got all four of them going. This HMCS Victoria sank a target ship last summer with a mark 48 torpedo at the RIMPAC 2012 navel exercises.
    I think it's shocking that Canada has only four submarines, when they have such a huge amount of coastline, and the entire artic circle to the north of them, especially with Germany and Russia handing out all sorts of submarines all around the world. If they can't make their own, then I think that Canada should turn to Germany or the USA to build for them a deisel/electric submarine that is second to none. Even try to
    improve on the Sweedish GOTLAND, or Germany's type 212 with AIP.
    If any of you know where else one can get a Canadian VICTORIA class submarine in 1/350 scale, please let us know, as far as I know, the resin shipyard is the only one working on this.
    Well, anyhow, good luck to the Canadian navy, keep your chin up, and I hope you get at least 10 mores years out of the VICTORIA class of submarines.
    -------gp100man
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Re: A little push, a little shove

First, I am guessing you mean RESIN SHIPYARD rather than RESIGN SHIPYARD? (Or, maybe you are resigned to not getting your model??). I have no experience with this outfit, as it looks like they have very little in the way of kits I would be interested in. As well, they are not "on the radar" of US Distributors such as Pacific Front, Sprue Brothers, or Squadron.

As far as your comment :
    I think that Canada should turn to Germany or the USA to build for them a diesel/electric submarine that is second to none.
    you are aware that the US has not produced a diesel submarine since the mid 1950's?? This has been a rather sticky point in some forums, as diesels (running on batteries) are perceived to be quieter than a nuclear powered SSN (and the US SSNs have not had great luck in detecting diesel/electric subs in exercises). Nonetheless, the US Navy (and US submarine yards) have not moved in the direction of diesel boats, and I doubt they would do so to produce a small number of diesel subs. Germany or Sweden is probably a better bet for supplying quality diesel subs for Canada.

Comment

• timtab
      • Feb 2013

I suspect that we Canadians have only four subs due to the fact that we have been primarily a sub-hunting navy since WWII.

Our emphasis on having subs is in training to detect and track them rather than use them as weapons either defensively or offensively.

Why do you think we always buy very quiet ones and always second hand and always just four.

Sames goes for the previous Oberon class.

Comment

• gp100man
        • Jan 2012

http://weapons.technology.youngester.co ... shift.html

I think it would be wise to have both Nuclear and diesel submarines.
        Just a thought.
        rugp100man

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

I think it would be wise to have both Nuclear and diesel submarines.
          Just a thought.
          And not a bad one, but I don't see the US Navy moving in the direction of acquiring diesel submarines anytime soon. Many have argued that with new AIP technology and improved batteries, a non-nuclear sub would have a place in the US Navy.

The article you cite above is interesting, but it is also two years old. The US continues to budget for more Virginia class SSNs.

Comment

• gp100man
            • Jan 2012

http://navaltoday.com/2013/07/11/canada ... -215284785

Comment

• gp100man
              • Jan 2012

I still would like to see someone come out with a 1/350 scale Canadian Victoria class submarine kit.
              I'm going to search the web some more, maybe someone has, been awhile since I looked.

http://navaltoday.com/2013/11/27/canada ... et-status/

Comment

Working...
              X