Ohio class submarines -- current paint scheme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maelje
    • Oct 2012

Ohio class submarines -- current paint scheme?

Hi,

I'm brand-new here. I'm not an R/C guy, strictly static models. I've built 24 subs in various scales, mostly nuclear but some World War II stuff.

Anyway, till now, I haven't built any Ohio class subs. Now I'm working on THREE of them: Dragon/Cyber Hobby's 1/350 scale version of the USS Maryland (which also comes with the Los Angeles-class USS Chicago attack sub), and OKB Grigorov's two versions of the Ohio, one being the original configuration and the other being the SSGN conversion.

My question: What is the color scheme these days for the Ohio-class subs? I've heard so many conflicting stories, and I want to get this sorted out before I commit to anything, although I am going to paint the OKB original version in the 1980s color scheme -- if I'm right, that is. Here's what I've been told:

1. Original color scheme was a sub that was almost all red anti-fouling paint. The only black paint was that part of the sub that was visible when the sub was surfaced. Is that right?

2. My understanding was that a later scheme involved the red anti-fouling paint only halfway up the hull, with the top half beig all black. Correct or not?

3. Thirdly, I've been told and have read that the CURRENT color scheme for all Ohio subs, including the 14 SSBNs and the four SSGN conversions, is all black. Is this the case?

I've tried to find photos to document all this, but the results are confusing at best. I've definitely seen the first two color schemes. I have not actually seen an all-black Ohio class sub, and wonder why that would be -- they still have to go into dry dock at some point, all of them, for periodic refueling of the reactor, refit etc., or at least that's my understanding.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. While I'm at it, if anyone has this knowledge, I'd love to know the current schemes for the Los Angeles class and Seawolf class. I feel pretty confident that the Virginia class is all black and always has been, though I'm not 100 percent sure.

Thanks!

Maelje
  • navy2000
    • Jan 2007

Re: Ohio class submarines -- current paint scheme?

Hi Maelje

In my past aboard sub's I have seen the first two color schemes that you have described. As for the all black hull I have not seen during my time in the Navy. I was part of the new construction crew of the USS Rhode Island SSBN 740 in 93 and 94. Most sub have the firsy paint job from when they were built after that they go to the lower half of the sub in red except for the sonar dome which remains all black. Have you tried looking at Navsource? I hope that this is of some help for you.

Duane

Comment

• maelje
      • Oct 2012

Duane,

Thank you! That helps tremendously. I was wondering what the time frame was for that second scheme. That makes sense, as I've never seen any of the later subs of the class -- Lousiana, for one -- in the old scheme.

I will take a look at NavSource; thanks for that, too!

Everyone: Any evidence you've seen that the current Ohio-class paint scheme is all black?

Comment

• maelje
        • Oct 2012

Correction:

NavSource -- just checked it. The site does, indeed, have a photo of the Louisiana in the nearly-all-red paint scheme. Guess that was still being used in 1996 when she was launched.

Comment

• boss subfixer
          • Aug 2004

The nearly all red paint job was from when the boat was launched not the commissioning ceremony as stated on navsourse. That was a shipyard paint scheme for lack of a better way to put it not something the Navy would have wanted for an active boat. The boat would have been put into her final paint scheme for delivery to the Navy of top half black, bottom half red with the exception of the sonar dome which could have been all black or some boats even had the red bottom black top for the sonar dome. I believe the earlier boats had the dome half black half red.
          I believe the only exception to the final paint job is the target/hash marks painted over each hatch, this is for incase there is a problem the DSRV will have an easier time finding the hatches for rescue. The Navy usually paints over them shortly after they take possession of the boat. At least that is what I was told when I worked at the shipyard.
          And yes the current paint scheme is all black.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

• maelje
            • Oct 2012

Don,

That helps tremendously. Based on what you wrote, I think I'm going to do the following:

1. Use the almost all-red paint scheme for my 1/700 OKB Grigorov Ohio class. Even though this is a shipyard paint scheme, it looks kind of cool -- unusual, compared with other subs, both U.S. and worldwide.

2. Use the all-black paint scheme for my 1/700 OKB Grigorov Ohio class conversion (SSGN). That seems appropriate, given that the first of the four conversions was completed in 2006.

3. Use the half-red, half-black scheme with black sonar dome for my 1/350 version. If I'm reading you right, this should present a good example of the class in its Cold War configuration.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
            X