X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gp100man
    • Jan 2012

Revell U212 and Israeli Dolphin

It should be rather obvious that there is a strong possibility that one or more Israeli Dolphin Class submarines will in the mainstream news IF a shooting war starts "over there" soon. I was wanting
    to convert an existing kit into an Israeli Dolphin Class Submarine. I was going to go with the Hobby Boss U212(sometimes misplelled U22) in 1/350 scale, and the Revell U212 1/144 scale as they're hulls look identical. I think the only change I would have to make is to the sail/conning tower/fairwater. Is that correct, and would you start with those kits????
    Have any of you made an Israeli Dolphin Class Submarines in any scale???
    Seeing how I've never made a resin kit, and don't know much about them, I have two of the OBK Grigorov kits, but haven't ventured yet into the resin world.
    I sure wish Hobby Boss and Revell would both come out with a styrene plastic kit of all four of the Israeli submarines, ie: S-class, T-class, GAL, and Dolphin.
    Thanks gp100man

Re: Revell U212 and Israeli Dolphin

To be honest, I think you'll need to chop the kit about so much, I would be inclined to get a bit of plastic pipe, and build the rest from scratch. As it is, if you kit bash, the upper hull will need siginificant revision, and you will need to fashion a new sail.

Comment

• gp100man
      • Jan 2012

Are you sure about the need for extreme kit bashing?
      Go to website idf-modelling.com drop down to
      the naval page, then click on INS dolphin.
      The hull in those pictures look pretty close to the U212 by either Hobby Boss or Revell.
      I will admit that I don't have as good an eye for detail as some folks.
      It seems, that I will indeed need to make a new sail, for sure.

gp100man

Comment

I've looked at both pretty closely. The lower hull looks to be the same, the upper hull area have a number of differences. The forward casing slopes down more towards the bow, and the area where the sail sits is slimmer on the Dolphin owing to the fact the sail is narrower and doesn't blend into the hull like the 212.

Comment

• gp100man
          • Jan 2012

I am starting to agree with you, however I just received in the mail today my two U212s from Revell 1/144 scale. I am going to move the hydro/fairwater planes from the sail to the bow,
          narrow the sail, possibly make it abit taller, and plant it on the existing hull that came with the U212 kit. Might not be perfect, but it will have to do.
          ------gp100man

Comment

• gp100man
            • Jan 2012

To Sub Culture
            From gp100man

After clicking on the website idf-modelling.com and going to the navy page, then the INS Dolphin page, and then going to page 2. I notice on pictures
            of the INS Tekuma from the side, it might be that I should shorten the length of the hull on the Revell U212 aft the sail, and there is a small bump/protrusion on the
            U212 just above the the torpedo tubes, that is not on the Dolphin, so that is going to have to come off of the Revell U212 kit, also I notice that there is
            a lip along the deck near the sail, I guess as a small platform for the INS sailors to walk on around the sail, not unlike our American S-boats of the 1920-30's.
            I am going to study it more closly, but the INS Dolphin appears to be more stumpy/short in the hull compared to the U212.
            Also you might notice on that same website if you go to the INS Gal page, a guy in Arizona has already made a really nice Gal, probabaly from the Revell type 206A
            kit in 1/144 scale.
            ------------gp100man

Comment

I believe they're the same length, but something else i forgot to mention- the Dolphin has a box-section style keel, so that would need to be added to a 212 model.

Comment

Working...
              X